**UPDATED** Is Bitty the Silver Laced Wyandotte a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JessWithChicks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Meet Gimpy a.k.a. Bitty our rehab chick. She's 6 weeks old but her comb is darker pink than our other wyandottes at the same age. Any guesses on lady or roo? This one seemed to mature slower than the others but she went through 2 weeks of therapy on her leg that I think may have slowed her down...THANK YOU!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's very possible that you have a little cockerel there, with all that color in the comb at 6 weeks.

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Right now, it's looking like a cockerel. But wyandottes are notoriously tricky to sex ,so it could go either way.

4. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I totally agree! You just have to wait it out a bit longer to see what comes of that comb.

5. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Thanks all for the info. I didn't realize wyandottes were so hard to sex. We have another silver laced that has much more black on her and a blue laced red. They are the sweetest little things. :) I'll hold off on this one but the other two I posted are near 100% roo. Booo.....

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have to say, I'm seeing pullet. Silver laced roos have white neck feather and wing feathers. The comb looks like my pullets did. I was looking for a pic but all I have is her back. Here's hoping you get what you are hoping for. :weee

7. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    As a matter of fact, I was just looking through my pics of my SLW babies, and here's a pic of a 6 week old cockerel. You can compare, but after looking at my pic, it does seem like you have yourself a pullet. You can see, mine was A LOT redder in the comb and wattles at that age.

Here's the pic...

[​IMG]

8. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Wow, he doesn't look like Gimpy Chick at all. Of course that's no guarantee but it's at the very least interesting. I think the guessing game at this age (6 weeks) is still a little risky. I found myself worrying that 4 of 8 chicks were roos. I had to sit back and remind myself they are still pretty young. Thanks for your reply and for posting your photos. Very helpful and fun to compare!

9. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Thank you! I love hearing other peoples input!

10. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Turns out Gimpy Chick is a Cockerel! Here's a couple photos of him at 13 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by