Updated - Is This Vent Gleet? - Graphic Pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Mar 15, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I noticed that one of my RIR hens had a messy behind, so I took her in the house.
    This is before cleaning
    [​IMG]

After cleaning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treatment Plan

• Weigh Daily - Current weight is 2.5kg
    • Give her a slightly less than full scoop of Nystatin mixed in water twice a day via a feeding tube.
    • Apply Miconazole cream in cloaca once a day for 5-7 days.
    • Apply Miconazole cream and Nystatin externally for 5-7 days.
    • De-worm with fenbendazole 50mg/kg.
    • Dust for mites and lice.

Items Used
    • Digital kitchen scale
    • Oral Nystatin powder (Medistatin)
    • 60ml catheter tip syringe
    • 18 french catheter
    • Miconazole cream and applicator

[​IMG]

Here she is getting her Nystatin mixed with water
    [​IMG]

Please fell free to make comments and suggestions as this is the first time I have treated vent gleet, if that's what it is.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    How is your bird doing now Casportpony? I still have mine inside and have gotten her so that the discharge has slowed down but it is still present.

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for asking... I actually dropped the ball on her treatment as I've had others that required care, my bad!

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Well, then this maybe a good time to ask you to check on something. I have my hen in the house still, she isn't as stinky as before and I am still doing the baths and the nystatin on her vent, inside and out. I am not going inside her very deeply as I am afraid of hurting her. She isn't caking any where near as bad as before, but still has the white discharge. I'm thinking this is a lot further up than what I can reach.

Okay the question...I have 2% Gentian Violet. Everything I've read has said that a 1% wipe of the mouth and crop should be done. Obviously i'd have to cut this stuff anyways so is it possible just to give this in water? Say 5ml Gentian to 5ml water and instead of doing the Q-Tip wipe just let her drink it. Do you think enough will adhear to the insides to do any good?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay... made some updates to my original post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by