Updated "Lemon Blue" Cochin photos (PICTURE HEAVY!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It was finally nice out, again...so I got some updated photos of my different birds...

[​IMG]
    Abigail with her new saddle (she HATES it) but it seems to be working:
    [​IMG]
    Mildred, my splash...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clarence is very wide across....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Oops, I found another one on my camera

[​IMG]

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't know much about Cochins... or chickens for that matter, but yours are Beautiful! [​IMG] Clarence looks like a big huggable lion. His ladies are very lovely too! [​IMG]

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Thank you! He's incredibly cute & fluffy! He's sooo sweet, too...I love him!

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:He looks like a statue in this picture!!

Very handsome boy... Do you have chicks from these birds yet? Are they feathering in "true"? Sorry if you answered these questions already!! Very nice - I would take that roo any day!!

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Oh yeah, I've hatched out lots of chicks and I've been getting pretty good hatch rates 80-90% feedback on shipped eggs. Nope, they don't breed true to color at this time but I'm working on that. It's hard to focus too much on color without losing type and type is harder to get back...so I'm constantly struggling with type & hoping for color. [​IMG]

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Here are some chicks that grew up to look just like their daddy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two golden laced & two lemon blue:
    [​IMG]

8. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR
    He does look lionish! Regal and proud. They're so round and adorable, and she looks great in her saddle.

9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    How did you create the lemon blue color?
    I crossed a Buff Orpington hen (standard) with a Splash Cochin rooster (standard) and the result looks kinda similar to your rooster...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was told that he was a "buff blue columbian" color or something like that?? Or would he be kinda like a lemon blue...? He has the same colored feathered feet as your rooster, similar colored wings/body feathers (except mine has a little darker buff colored feathers than yours), and mine isn't really fluffy like a true Cochin, like yours is. Just curious to find out because I've always thought that Ivory (my rooster) looked like or similar to a lemon blue... [​IMG]

Gorgeous rooster you have there! And very pretty hens! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Rare Feathers Farm

I bought some of mine from a breeder who was looking on them before me. I have heard different stories as to how it came about but I believe it was simply a blue with buff coloring or a buff with blue coloring. I've been adding some new into my flock now and gotten some that look like buff columbian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by