1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Updated Mottled Orp Project PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Apr 19, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    These are about 14-15 weeks old and looking beautiful. They lost almost all of the mottling as they moult in their color, but I am feeling the next generation will turn out nice. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

Here's a gorgeous fluffy backside:
    [​IMG]

A couple pics with the cockerel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one with her lavender pullet friend:
    [​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    So for the F2 are you going to mate the F1's together or back cross them to something else?

3. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    For this project, I am taking 2 approaches as I also have a jubilee project I'm working on.

I am planning to breed some of the F1's back to each other. I am also planning to put some of these mottled pullets with a mille fleur rooster to see the outcome there as well. It will be interesting to see how the matchups go.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    That will be interesting. Do you mind me asking what breed of mille fluer you are crossing them with?

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Are these homozygous or heterozygous for mottling?
    Where did the male's tail come from? [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Michael, I'm using Speckled Sussex in my mille project.

Krys, last I heard Orpington are not rumpless. [​IMG] He is still growing and filling out.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Cool, I just wasnt sure if there were some secret mille fluer orps out there or something, lol.

8. Krys109uk

Krys, last I heard Orpington are not rumpless. He is still growing and filling out

LOL......I wasn't aware that Mediterranean type tails were in the Orp standards. [​IMG]

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Its all English here..im lovin the results..still much grow in time on these sweeties... [​IMG]

~Wilds~

10. Krys109uk

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you both. I just thought a bit of constructive criticism about the cockerel's tail might not go amiss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by