UPDATED new PICS!My new Phoenix pair!! Goofball roo, smarter hen :)

19hhbelgian

Pigs DO Fly!!
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
New Tripoli PA
Well, got a pair of phoenix... As if I needed them
lau.gif
Who could resist having such beautiful birds though?! They aren't used to being handled at all, and are very flighty, but I'm hoping they'll come around after a while. If not, I'll have very nice eye candy in my yard
droolin.gif

Here's the hen:
27475_img_2599.jpg

27475_img_2600.jpg

Here's the roo... Oh, Wait, those are the pine trees he's roosting at the top of!!
th.gif

27475_img_2610.jpg

Here he is looking down at me from the pine tree!
27475_img_2612.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... Didn't even think of that! I could, but at the same time, I like that he can fly if he needs to, so I'm torn about that. This is the first night he's been out with the rest of the "herd" so I'm hoping when he comes down tomorrow, he will go in the coop with the rest of them
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! The roo is fuzzy in the second picture, but he is a silver duck-wing? (I think that's the correct color name
smile.png
). You can see his red comb and the silvery neck feathers
tongue.png

only problem I see with Clipping the wing, is if a dog was chasing him, it might not get enough height to get away.

they are beautiful chickens. Maybe you will have fertile eggs to hatch for more docile, petable babies?

Well, Goofy decided to come down from his 60ft. perch this morning, and I was able to herd him back into the old butcher house, which is used for chicks and storage. From there it only took me about 15 minutes to catch him
animals-12.gif
lau.gif

27475_img_2630.jpg

27475_img_2634.jpg

I'm totally new to chickens. Would you want to keep the Phoenixes in a coop and run and spend a lot of time with them so they warm up to you, then let them out for supervised free-ranging? I don't know anything about chickens but if the roo roosts out of a coop at night, could a raccoon get him?
I forgot to add that Goofy's BEAUTIFUL!
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank You! As high up as he was, plus that he was inside our fenced yard, I'm not worried about raccoons, although owls could potentially be a problem. I don't mind that they are flighty... I know not all chickens are going to want human contact. As long as he learns to go in at night, all will be right with our chicken world
thumbsup.gif

We used to have 12 roosters at our old house, who never even had a coop! They came as packing peanuts with some ducklings I had ordered. I raised them, and they stayed around, and roosted in the trees at night. The only time I ever had predator problems was when they would roost too low, and the fox could grab one
sad.png
That was at our old house, now we have a completely fenced yard and the dogs keep those kind of predators out
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom