Updated- Offered a free young roo, PICS in post #20!

Noymira

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Chittenden County, VT
My neighbors have 7 chicks, about 5 weeks old, and one is a little roo, a Barred Rock. They don't want to keep him and keep trying to convince me to take him, or help them find someone else who will.

I thought perhaps we would end up with one roo out of our 14 chickens and so far, none! I have 7 week old chicks I could put the little guy in with, but I'm not sure if I have to worry about quarantine issues with a bird that young? Or that the older chicks might hurt him, he's just a hair smaller than the smallest of my chicks.

At first I thought I didn't want a roo, just hens, but now I'm wavering, since I wouldn't mind not going the "raise chicks in a brooder" route in the future and let some broodies do the work for me.

Can you help me make up my mind? What are the pros and cons to have a rooster? I have 14 hens, and don't really plan on free ranging, but may do some moveable paddocks. Noise is not a real issue for us, we are on 2.5 acres and rural, the same neighbors also have 3 sheep. Are all roosters mean or hard on the hens?

Last edited:
I say.. go for it.. but then again... I am failing Chicken Math.. or maybe PASSING.. depends on your prospective. I am a sucker for something FREE....

As far as the quatarantine period or the necessity of it with chicks.. I will have to pass that one to more experienced folks.. I quarantine EVERYTHING for at least 3 weeks..just due to my inexperience and fear... in very.. very rare instances I have shortened the stay in the Q-pens for chickens I know have not been exposed to very much from the outside world.

Let us know what you decide to do,
Shelly

Quote:
Thanks, I'm in the same boat with the chicken math!
hide.gif

He's been outside in the new coop the neighbors had built for about 2 weeks, but that's 300 yards down the driveway from our coop. He did come from a different feed store and hatchery than mine though.

Quote:
Um- ok-

I would QT unless this neighbor is physically next door and the chickens already co-mingle (or only have a fence between then).

-------

Roosters (+)
-------------

Protect the flock
'Cause' chicks
Are pretty
Act different

Roosters (-)
-----------
Can become aggressive to humans
Can over-breed hens/ be aggressive to hens

Roosters/Hens (both genders +/-)
-------------
All roosters, and some hens crow- in absents of a rooster a hen has a greater chance of crowing
Can have Spurs, depends on breed and amount of testosterone and what genes they have
Can be pets or underfoot when treated well or expecting treats.

--Other (free range)--

I have not found any correlation between attacks on a flock and crowing, either 'positive' (causing attacks) nor 'negative' (driving away attacks)
Different sounds roosters make can cause the hens to pay better attention, and give a higher chance of escape (free range only)
Also a rooster worth his place in the flock will lay down his life for the hens Vs hawks, dogs, and wildlife, giving then better chance to get away.

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

They are physically next door, but my chicks just went into the coop last weekend, so no co-mingling with the neighbors flock at all. Our coops are at opposite ends of the property lines from each other.

I don't want to find a way to quarantine a single bird. I already have the chicks, 5 pullets and 2 hens in 3 separate pens right now.

If he can't go right in with my chicks I'll probably pass. I guess I just needed to hear some of this from others.

I would always have a roo. They may be rough with the girls while they learn how to do the deed, but eventually get over it. In the meantime, if hen's feathers wear away, you can use a duct tape cover or a saddle on their back.

The right roo is a joy to have. Hens may do well without a roo, but I feel their brain is wired to have a roo protect them and provide fertility. I love watching them.
Don't know about quarantine, if neighbor's chicks have not been exposed to other chickens , I personally would not quarantine. Meaning chicks from a hatchery, or eggs, and no prior flock.

If it were me I'd take him. Roosters make the flock. Their fun to watch. Sounds like you wouldn't have to worry about quarantine. Look him over real good & ask your neighbors about him. As far as being mean you will find out. If you spend time with him he will get to know you. I didn't want a roo either & a neighbor gave me my roo same as you I didn't quaratine. I just threw him in with my girls & had no problems. The reason I got a roo was for protection & fertile eggs plus the roo offered to me looked just like my girls. Good Luck!!!

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses! I'm leaning more towards taking him now, since I do have 2 Barred Rock pullets! You are all enablers!
tongue2.gif
I wanted to start out with 4-6 hens back in March when I was looking at order sheets, now I'm up to 15 if I take this little guy!

I may just put him in with my 7 chicks and see how long it takes DH to notice there are now 8... I bet it would be at least a month. I've visited their chicks a few times, good looking Barred Rocks. They are very lively and healthy looking, not handled quite as much as mine I can tell since they are pretty easily scared. I'll take this as an excuse to check out their new coop tonight and maybe bring home the little boy.

Back
Top Bottom