*UPDATED* Oh Rats! Is my White Crested Blue Polish a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JessWithChicks, Apr 21, 2012.

1. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    I'm leaning towards a roo being that "Puff Ball" has little wattles at 6 1/2 weeks old. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the puff is shaped like a hen's puff, but its young for them wattles. are the end of the crest feathers pointed or rounded?

3. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Hi ramirezframing, thanks for your post. The ends of the feathers are rounded. I agree the crest looks hen even with some of it missing due to another chick (I think) pecking out the very center. I just don't know what to think about those wattles. This is our first crested polish so the waiting game continues on this one...

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    hmmm im waiting to tell the gender of mine :D never thought about owning a polish till i got my cutie but with those wattles and given the age i am leaning towards cockerel and to me the crest looks more swept back than rounded but it could get more rounded as it ages

5. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    what shape are the back feathers? Round and short or Long slender and pointed?

6. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Without another WCP to compare to I'd say they are more on the long and slender side. Nothing like our confirmed Welsummer Roo though. Here are a couple photos. The first one shows the back feathering. The others are better photos of the crest. Many thanks!! We love this little suspected guy so he'll be sticking around no matter what!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Purely Prairie Polish

Purely Prairie Polish Chillin' With My Peeps

From my experience you've got a Roo on your hands. Not only does he have wattles at this age, but they are bright red, as is the flesh around his beak heading up to his comb. Either way, he is beautiful.

8. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    I would say hen, but I'm no expert...

9. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    My guess is roo. Here's my WC Blue Polish roo at seven weeks. Notice the waddles. They only got bigger and redder after this, as did the beak flesh:

[​IMG]

10. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Oh my goodness, they are almost twins! I realized after I posted this that ours is actually 7 1/2 weeks. He's 1 week older than the rest. Anyway, I think we have a little roo on our hands. We love him either way so as long as he can behave himself we'll get to keep him! Thanks for sharing your photo. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by