UPDATED!! PAGE 3 need suggestions for sick/runt?? light Brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earnhardtlvr, May 6, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Last night b4 I went to bed I checked on my 29 peeps. I noticed 1 of my 4 brahma girlies was sleeping while every1 else was running around like nuts! I knocked on the brooder next to where she was laying and she barely opened her eyes. I picked her up and she didn't make a squeal or really move. She was up running around the day b4! I brought her upstairs and looked her over very carefully. No pasty butt problems...no sores (even tho her feathers look pretty ragged)...I'm a newbie, but I look up the anatomy pics on here and felt where I thought her crop was and it felt normal??? I got her drink a few drops of water that I put save-a-chick stuff in, but couldn't get her to eat anything. I really didn't think she would make it thru the night. She did! I am so thankful. I still don't know what's wrong with her tho. She is drinking the save-a-chick water on her own and will eat some of her crumbles now if I put the vitamin water on it and make it wet. She isn't eating enough tho...or am I expecting too much too soon? She is about half the size of her sisters. I have been getting her out of the box about evry 2 hrs and am giving her the food & water and then she just falls asleep again. Is there something else I should be giving her? Anything I can give to get her to put on weight?? Any suggestions??

No blood in poop...and no one else sick.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    you could boil eggs, crumble the yolk and give them to her.

3. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    I had a similar problem with one of my BRs when he was 2 weeks old... He was (and still is, although he is catching up now!) A LOT smaller than the others... I just took him out with a smaller buddy 2-3 times a day and let him eat and drink on his own (I set up a smaller brooder for them), then I'd put them back with the others. In just a couple days he perked up and is growing like a weed now! All my chicks are 5 weeks, yet he looks to be about 3 weeks old, but he is rapidly catching up!! I would keep doing what you're doing and try the crumbled, boiled egg yolk and see if that helps! Hope she pulls through for you!! Keep us updated!

4. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Well now I have another ? LOL I had to take her from the brooder and put her in a smaller box because the others were walking on her. So do I need to take another one from the brooder? My sickly girl sleeps in a fuzzy slipper in a box in the house. If I don't have her out giving her food and water, all she does is curl up in the slipper and sleep so I havent thought about her needing a buddy because she has been content by herself and in the slipper! [​IMG]

5. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Quote:Well now I have another ? LOL I had to take her from the brooder and put her in a smaller box because the others were walking on her. So do I need to take another one from the brooder? My sickly girl sleeps in a fuzzy slipper in a box in the house. If I don't have her out giving her food and water, all she does is curl up in the slipper and sleep so I havent thought about her needing a buddy because she has been content by herself and in the slipper! [​IMG]

I only took a "buddy" because "Rocky" DID NOT like being by himself (I'm pretty sure he's a roo). He would chirp VERY loudly until I put someone in with him... If your's doesn't seem to mind being alone, I wouldn't worry about it. She may not mind it at the moment because she's not being trampled. But once she gets her energy back, she might want some company... I know that's how Rocky was... Just use common sense- she'll tell you if she needs a buddy! [​IMG]

6. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep doing what you are doing, making sure she eats & drinks, and keep her warm. I am sure she will start to perk up soon. Chicks can be quite amazing if you can catch the problem in time. She is probably just weak from lack of food & water. Keep us posted on her progress. (Love the name, BTW! I love Earnhardt too. Miss him dearly). Best wishes for a speedy recovery for the baby. [​IMG]

7. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD

I only took a "buddy" because "Rocky" DID NOT like being by himself (I'm pretty sure he's a roo). He would chirp VERY loudly until I put someone in with him... If your's doesn't seem to mind being alone, I wouldn't worry about it. She may not mind it at the moment because she's not being trampled. But once she gets her energy back, she might want some company... I know that's how Rocky was... Just use common sense- she'll tell you if she needs a buddy! [​IMG]

ok good! Right now she sleeps about all the time I don't have her out holding her or feeding her. She is sleeping ALOT! But she is very quiet and only really chirps when I am holding her and petting her. But it's a happy chirp...almost a purrrrrr. LOL Thanks for all ur advice. I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Did you check her crop before you took her out to see if it was full or empty? Might give some ACV in the water.

9. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:It took a bit of research for me to figure out where the crop was and what it should feel like. I Am fairly certain that it was empty. What would ACV in her water do? I am using the save-a-chick vitamin water now.

10. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    4 years ago I had a litter of puppies with one hairless girl i named Tinkerbell she was less than half the size of her littermates. I did not know what her problem was, so i took her to my vet to discover she had a sticky heart valve on her left side. Tink never fully caught up to the rest in size, but she did get to where she was only slightly smaller than her littermates, and for her first 6 months on earth i noted she slept a lot more than the rest. I wonder if your chich has a lil heart problem that will resolve itself like tinks heart did. I homed Tink with a friend of mine and get to visit with her a few times a month. she is in fantastic health now.
    Donna in branson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by