UPDATED PHOTOS- My 1st Post- My Chicks & Identification help needed.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by awayfrmitall, Jul 9, 2008.

1. awayfrmitall

awayfrmitall Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    (UPDATED PHOTOS ON POST ON PAGE 2)

Hello everyone, nice to meet you.

I've been reading here for over a week and this seems like a nice active & friendly type of board. I was posting on another forum but their poultry section isn't that active and I seem to have "thread killer syndrome" (you know where you are always the last poster on a thread before it dies... I am beginning to get a complex.)

Ok here are my chicks. I am so confused on what is what so if anyone can identify any help would be appreciated.

In addition what is up with the feathers on my 3 week olds? Anything to be concerned about? And lastly my 3 week old polish... anyone want to guess if it's a Roo or Pullet or is it too soon to tell?

Thank you in advance,
    Jamie

The choices for the newest chicks are (listing quantity shipped - I lost one that was a buff color on the 4th of July - Actually had to put her down):
    Light Brahmas (one of them)
    White Wyandotte (one of them)
    Red Star (two of them)
    New Hampshire (one of them)
    Barred Rock (one of them)
    Black Giant (one of them)
    White Rock (one of them)
    Rhode Is. Red (one of them)
    White Orpington (one of them)
    Silver Laced Wyandotte (two of them)
    Black Australorp (one of them)
    Buff Rock (two of them)

The photos with two birds are my "twins" ... they look so alike they may or may not be the same kind... I have no idea. This first birds are a little over 1 week old:

Chicks 1(L) & 2 (R)
    [​IMG]

Chicks 3(L) & 4(R)
    [​IMG]

Chick 5
    [​IMG]

Chick 6
    [​IMG]

Chick 7
    [​IMG]

Chick 8
    [​IMG]

Chick 9
    [​IMG]

Chicks 10(L) & 11(R)
    [​IMG]

Chick 12
    [​IMG]

Chicks 13(L) & 14(R)
    [​IMG]

Here are my one+ week old CornishX birds:
    [​IMG]

A few shots of my 3+week old CornishX birds:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison of my 3+ week old Polish Mystery chick next to a CornishX of the same age:
    [​IMG]

And my Polish Mystery Chick (anyone want to guess if it's a Roo or a Hen yet?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok that's all of them.... I love to see pictures of other people's chicks so it's nice to see people posting their photos up.

Edited to add that the outdoor run is only a temporary one. Has some family issues so the perm. housing is being built the weekend of the 18th for all.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    very cute chicks! Your little polish looks like a roo! I have 2 hens and a roo and he is very crazy!! He is on my avatar. His name is pimp daddy rooster.

oh... and welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I know 8 is the RIR and 12 is the barred rock. The polish would only be a guess but i would say a rooster. [​IMG]

4. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    #12 looks like my barred rock. I have no idea about the others, LOL.

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

6. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Oh my have you got a lot of chickens. Congrats. They are addictive. Just a note from a fellow newbie - I've been told that keeping chicknes on a smooth surface, such as a cardboard box, can cause them leg problems. i'm not pretending to know lots aobut chickens, but thought I'd pass that on just in case...have fun!

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Yes it can cause spraddle legs or splayed foot. This can be remedied but why fix something that is preventable in the first place? Just needs somthing in which they can grab on to for help on keeping the leg muscles working.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You'll love it here... everyone is so great! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can;t really add anything as far as guessing breeds, as what I would have said has already been said [​IMG] LOL

9. awayfrmitall

awayfrmitall Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    Quote:Thanks... just so everyone doesn't think I'm neglectful they were only up there on the cardboard on top of the cage long enough for me to snap those pictures. Inside their cage is nice pine shavings.

The cardboard is to keep my cat from reaching his paws through the top to play with the noisy chirpy things inside...

Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

10. lewisfarmgurl

lewisfarmgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    I just wanted to say [​IMG] and I love the pictures of the chicks!

Your cat looks like my cat Bandit and I'm sure he will come to love those chicks when they are big enough to chase him around....lol. My Bandit never killed a bird but mice and lizards was his favorite play things.

Sorry I can't help with the id's but good luck with all your new babies![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by