Updated Photos of my Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GordieH, Sep 30, 2011.

1. GordieH

GordieH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Here are some new pics of our ducks I took today.

The first is the Rouen Drake

[​IMG]

Quite a change since July 26th

[​IMG]

This is the Black Cayuga. Anyone want to venture a guess on whether it is a drake or hen?

[​IMG]

This is two of our White Pekins. The Drake feathers on the tail are easy to see. I am thinking I might mark them another way just in case they lose them before I butcher them. Though they look like they are ready now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Cute!! I think the Cayuga is a hen, but Im not totally sure.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to sound quite harsh but do you let your ducks have a bath. They need water they can get their whole head into so they can clean out their nares and eyes and a bath helps kep their feathers pretty too. Yours look like they need a good bath

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thats the first I noticed about the ducks in the first photo. Gofasterstripe is right- your ducks arent able to clean themselves properly. Just because you dont keep them as pets like many of us on this forum is still no reason not to provide them with the basic care requirements. Even ducks that are raised for meat deserve at least some comfort in their lives. Without being able to wash their faces properly they are susceptible to eye and respiratory infections. If you plan to butcher these ducks then I doubt you would be willing to pay vet bills if they do get sick- prevention in this case would be the best cure.

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:Not just vet bills......

I am grossed out at the thought of it being butchered and eaten - and it possibly being sick form it's care. P.U.K.E.
    I am not against eating it, but eating one who might be sick.....ummmmm...nope.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hope this doesn't come out too harsh but I have to agree with the other posters....they look a bit dirty. I know how hard it is to keep a Pekin (especially ) clean. I have a LARGE kiddie pool (30 bucks at Wally World) and a small kiddie pool for them. I am fortunate to have plenty of well water so the water is changed in the big pool every other day and the small one daily. I can't stand to see a dirty duck so i put plenty of hay in the run as well that gets more added to it weekly. Here is a pic of what my Pekins look like and you can see the difference in the "white".
    [​IMG]

Also, does the run they are in have good drainage? That makes a LOT of difference as well. I would also worry more about parasites and such if they aren't as clean as they should be....
    Good luck with them, they look like nice ducks [​IMG]

ETA: Their feathers look a bit rough as well. If they could properly clean themselves they would be more smooth. Unless they are molting which would explain some of the "rough" look.
    Just trying to help.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. GordieH

GordieH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Not harsh at all. I tore down our garage recently and I have no way of keeping them in the yard as there is a huge hole in the fence now. Working on getting the fence back up. There are HUGE dogs in almost every yard of the neighborhood. Guess I could put a tub of water in the pen off and on.

Gordon

8. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:Honestly, that would work. Anything deep enough to dip their heads in would benefit the ducks a LOT.

Mine have a baby pool (or 2 [​IMG] ) but I also have a few rubber feed pans I fill 2x a day. They will also hop in the pans to "try" and bathe. [​IMG] so that would work well for them.

Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by