Updated photos pg 4 lg pictures

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tazcat70, Apr 25, 2008.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Our hatch ended last night. The final baby (a mixed breed) was helped out of her shell about 6 pm, she was extremely sticky. I moved all the babies to the brooder except for her. For the rest of the night we checked on them to make sure they were doing ok, and they were. We had a pretty good hatch 4 of our bantam mixes, 5 of Bamachickens silkies, 3 of Bamachickens Orps (1 splash, 1 blue, and 1 mottled) and 3 large breed mixes. They were so adorable! I planned on taking a picture of them today when I moved the final baby to the brooder.

This morning I go down to check on them and the brooder is on the floor. Little chick bodies surround it. I see my cat as she grabs one and starts to play with it. I search the reckage and find 2 little silkies burried in the pine chips, they are cold to the touch, but abrely breathing. I rush and put them in the incubator. We found all of the bodies except for 3.

We are so upset! My 6 year old daughter found the body of her hens chick. It was awful!
    My children are talking about killing the cat....don't worry I won't let it happen. She is a good cat but she likes to climb on things and is ornery. My son has tears streaming down his face, and I am numb. I feel like maybe I willed this to happen in some way.

We are in the process of a very unexpected adoption of a newborn. I was thinking last night that if I would have known we would have a new baby I wouldn't have set the eggs, but after seeing them in the brooder I was so happy. They were adorable! I left the brooder in the basement because of the baby. I didn't want the dust to bother him, so it wasn't in the kitchen like normal.

I just had to tell you all, and I will keep you posted about the 2 little silkies.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Oh nooooo! My heart goes out to you....[​IMG]

Dawn

3. puckbunny87

puckbunny87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Norco, CA
    omg, I am so sorry about your loss!!

I understand about those onery cats... but don't beat yourself up about it, it wasn't your fault! [​IMG]

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    How awful! Prayer to you and your children. Keep us posted on the survivors.:aww

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    so sorry to hear that your cat killed all your newly hatched chicks.you just learned a hard cruel lesson.never allow the cat in the room with chicks.if you do make doulbe sure the cat cant get to the chicks.i know your kids are hurt upset an madd at the cat.an i hope they get to feeling better.its heartbreaking for kids to find dead chicks.

6. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I'm so so sorry, Tanya. My heart goes out to you and your family. My beloved little rat terrier, Mia, pulled a newborn kitten from under the fence and murdered her. I know exactly how you feel. It was just in Mia's nature to kill little rodent-looking things. I love Mia so much, but at the time, I was so disgusted with her. And she would kill the 5 day-old chicks I have right now, if she had the chance. The cat was just being a cat. He did nothing wrong in his heart. I know how sad the whole mess is. Your poor kids. I will pray that time passes quickly to heal your hearts. And my thoughts are with the remaining two. Good luck with them.:aww

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry to hear about your newly hatched chicks. That really sucks. :aww

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks! Bad kitty!

On a happier note - congratulations on your new baby. I wish you all the best with the new addition to your family!

9. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    That's so sad. [​IMG]

Congrats on the new baby!!!

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry to hear about your newly hatched chicks. I know the kids (and you) are upset with the cat but, in a few days she/he will win you back over. I sure hope the survivors do well.
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations on the new addition to the family!
    [​IMG]
    P.S. don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things happen. If the cat has free range of the house it may have gotten them in the kitchen too. We lost a couple of turkey poulets to a cat and I was within five feet of them but, there was a wall in between and by the time I got there it was to late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by