UPDATED (photos)!!Virgin Birth/can bunnies do it thru hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenmaven, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My bunny had babies!!! [​IMG] A big surprise because we did not mate her. She is housed in a hutch that sits one foot away from our other bunny's hutch, so we are PRETTY DARNED SURE that he did not have access to her...
    HOWEVER, we calculated that she was impregnated around the weekend of fair. Could another rabbit have gotten to her through the cage wire? My DD is pretty upset about this, because she suspects that someone took her bunny out of the cage and had her mated. This is too twisted for me to imagine. [​IMG]

BTW - the mother is a 15 mo. old mini rex & this is her 1st litter. Five chubby, gorgeous babies!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Does can store sperm. They can mate and have a litter, then have Another litter shortly afterwards without mating. I found this out when I was 12, BION!! (believe it or not)

My doe was rearing her 1st litter, then 3 weeks later had another littler. Unfortunately she killed the 2nd litter. [​IMG]

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Okay! You are unbelievably helpful. We actually know that the Mama is not a virgin, because we accidentally allowed our other bunny to "access" her about 8 weeks ago. Mama demonstrated nesting behaviors- pulled out fur, made the nest, etc. - about 5 weeks ago, right before fair. DD was pretty concerned that her bunny would give birth at the fair. The Mama is a mini rex and we have heard some pretty negative things about them in regard to them delivering and caring for kits. We were relieved that there were no kits and have been careful to keep our rabbits far apart.

So, yes, it was a wild & wonderful surprise to find FIVE cute, wriggling, chubby kits in our bunny's cubby area. They are each the size of a spool of thread, so I am guessing them to be a few days old.

Any additional feedback & opinions are definitely welcomed! [​IMG]

4. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    virgin brith would give a whole new meaning to they breed like rabbits

5. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Technically, "virgin birth" refers to the birth not occuring through the birth canal. A "C Section" is a "virgin birth." What you are talking about is "immaculate conception." Test tube insemination is "immaculate conception."

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:As long as the other rabbits don't start a religion around any of her babies... that could get complicated [​IMG]

Pat

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I've been breeding rabbits for some time and have never heard of that. I know a doe can carry two litters at a time and give birth at different times but I don't believe she can 'hold' sperm. Does can get pregnant right after giving birth though. [​IMG]

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Pics!!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Okay, you seriously need to post some pics!! Mini-rexes are adorable, but mini-rex babies?? I can't even imagine!!!

Back on topic, I would say it is definitely possible that she was bred at the fair. And yes, they can do it through wire. Hopefully her next cage over neighbor was also a mini rex! I doubt someone would have purposely bred her, what would be the point? I could see if theirs was the doe, but not the other way around.

Now GO GET THOSE PICS!! [​IMG]

10. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Also, rabbits are one species that can reproduce by parthenogenesis -- that is, without a male. If they do, all babies will be does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by