UPDATED (photos)!!Virgin Birth/can bunnies do it thru hardware cloth?

Chickenmaven

Songster
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
Michigan
My bunny had babies!!!
bun.gif
A big surprise because we did not mate her. She is housed in a hutch that sits one foot away from our other bunny's hutch, so we are PRETTY DARNED SURE that he did not have access to her...
HOWEVER, we calculated that she was impregnated around the weekend of fair. Could another rabbit have gotten to her through the cage wire? My DD is pretty upset about this, because she suspects that someone took her bunny out of the cage and had her mated. This is too twisted for me to imagine.
ep.gif

BTW - the mother is a 15 mo. old mini rex & this is her 1st litter. Five chubby, gorgeous babies!!!
bun.gif

22501_005.jpg

Last edited:
Does can store sperm. They can mate and have a litter, then have Another litter shortly afterwards without mating. I found this out when I was 12, BION!! (believe it or not)

My doe was rearing her 1st litter, then 3 weeks later had another littler. Unfortunately she killed the 2nd litter.
sad.png

Okay! You are unbelievably helpful. We actually know that the Mama is not a virgin, because we accidentally allowed our other bunny to "access" her about 8 weeks ago. Mama demonstrated nesting behaviors- pulled out fur, made the nest, etc. - about 5 weeks ago, right before fair. DD was pretty concerned that her bunny would give birth at the fair. The Mama is a mini rex and we have heard some pretty negative things about them in regard to them delivering and caring for kits. We were relieved that there were no kits and have been careful to keep our rabbits far apart.

So, yes, it was a wild & wonderful surprise to find FIVE cute, wriggling, chubby kits in our bunny's cubby area. They are each the size of a spool of thread, so I am guessing them to be a few days old.

Any additional feedback & opinions are definitely welcomed!
bun.gif

Technically, "virgin birth" refers to the birth not occuring through the birth canal. A "C Section" is a "virgin birth." What you are talking about is "immaculate conception." Test tube insemination is "immaculate conception."

I've been breeding rabbits for some time and have never heard of that. I know a doe can carry two litters at a time and give birth at different times but I don't believe she can 'hold' sperm. Does can get pregnant right after giving birth though.
smile.png

Okay, you seriously need to post some pics!! Mini-rexes are adorable, but mini-rex babies?? I can't even imagine!!!

Back on topic, I would say it is definitely possible that she was bred at the fair. And yes, they can do it through wire. Hopefully her next cage over neighbor was also a mini rex! I doubt someone would have purposely bred her, what would be the point? I could see if theirs was the doe, but not the other way around.

Now GO GET THOSE PICS!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom