UPDATED PICS.....heritage standard bronze 1 week

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by adamst71, Apr 19, 2012.

1. adamst71

adamst71 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Bethel Springs, Tn.
    One week old and all are still alive and kicking..Hope they continue to do well.
    For somebody who fussed about me getting turkeys look who is spoiling them......haha I don't know if they realize they have legs, she has been holding them every day......hahah
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Their looking good... what is that screen thing in the middle of the brooder ?
    How big is your brooder ?

3. adamst71

Mar 25, 2012
    Bethel Springs, Tn.
    The screen is a guard for the tempature probe for the heat lamp. I made a two stage heat lamp so I can more accurately regulate the tempature no matter if the tempature is 40 degrees at night or 80 during the day the tempature will stay whatever
    I dial it in at within two degrees. The tower goes all the way to the top of the brooder so they don't stand on top of the probe and poop on it. The brooder is 3' x 6' with 19" sides. I have a slide out petetion in the middle so I can reduce the size to 3' x 3' to better regulate the tempature and make sure they are eating before I open up the brooder to the full legnth.

4. adamst71

Mar 25, 2012
    Bethel Springs, Tn.
    here is a close up of the brooder with the middle in place before I open it up and a closeup of the "tower". [​IMG]

5. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Ok very ingenious setup for the temp probe !!! good looking poults, were they shipped of did you hatch/pick them up locally ?
    I have 10 midget whites in my brooder that I hatched out, they are just 2 weeks old, I think it's time to remove my divider so they have more room.
    Here's a picture of them at 1 week, I need to take some updated pictures, the are much bigger now, and more feathered.

Cheers !!!

[​IMG]

6. adamst71

Mar 25, 2012
    Bethel Springs, Tn.
    Good looking midgets..I just ordered mine from my local feed store. I wish I could have hatched them out but this is my first time with any type of poultry......One step at a time I guess. Here's a peek at the business end of the two stage heat controls.
    [​IMG]

7. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    I have that same zoomed temp controller, but don't have the dimmer hooked up, what does that do ?

8. adamst71

Mar 25, 2012
    Bethel Springs, Tn.
    I configured the system as follows.....The thermostat actually operates the relay coil only. When the thermostat calls for heat it will close the relay and this will turn on my lamp full power, when the thermostat reaches its pre determined temp setting the relay will drop out and attach the light through the dimmer switch which I can set as low or high as I wish. So the theory behind this is as follows:

When my thermostat reaches the high temp Instead of completely shutting off the heat lamp causing extreme hot and cold temp differentials (not to mention bright light to no light situations) I can adjust the "off" stage of the thermostat with the dimmer to a setting where there will still be heat and light just not as intense as the heat lamp in the full on condition. This also allows me to asjust the legnth of the cycle of the thermostat by setting the dimmer as kind of a "warm" cycle and the thermostat will cycle less and I end up with a much more stable temperature setting which allows the brooder to run much more worry free if the temperature drops at night or If it climbs too much during the day and nobody is here to adjust the lamp. Soo, with a low ambient temp. the thermostat stays on till the pre determined temp. is reached at the probe but if the outside temp rises I set the dimmer where it will keep some heat in the brooder but will never climb pass the set temp on the thermostat. I actually never have to adjust the height of the heat lamp and most of the time the temp probe is in the "off" position because the second stage heat keeps it warmer waaaay longer between cycles.

I know this was probably waaaaay more picky than I needed to do but keep in mind this was my first time ever raising poultry of any kind and I was trying to cover all the bases from what I was reading here to give the poults the best chance of survival. Also, I design electrical control systems by trade and it's kinda habbit to build things to work automatically....hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by