UPDATED- PICS>>> I left the Auto Turner Off by accident-

pj_elia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Northern NJ
This is my first hatching attempt. My friend gave me a GQF 1202 with electronic thermostat, autoturner, and water pan. I have the humidity and temp stable but on day two I added some more eggs to the incubator and forgot to turn the autoturner back on. Its 4 days later (day 6 for the first batch and day 4 for the 2nd) I noticed the turner was off. I corrected the situation. I candled a dozen of them out of curiosity. A few look alive but most I could not tell. The top half of the eggs looked darker than the rest. Any idea what damaged I caused? I'm sure I reduced my hatch rate but any idea what my prognosis is. Temp is 99.5 and wet bulb is at 85. I have 48 chicken eggs and 10 duck eggs in there.

Last edited:
I would not give up now, follow through with this setting and hope for the best. I have a question though, why would you turn the turner off???????

well for day6/4 you should only be seeing very tiny lines IF you can even see that, you'll see a shadow in to egg and that would be the yolk, and a air sac at the big end of the egg (top),

Thanks for the info. On 2, I saw a moving black dot.

Snakeoil,

I left it off after flipping the switch to manually move the trays in position for me to add the second batch of eggs. The switch defaults back to the middle position which is off.

May drop your hatch rate, but still should have a good hatch. Not turning them,they will still form ,but may have trouble come hatching day.

Last edited:
Quote:
If all other conditions are ideal, then about 50% of the eggs will hatch whether you turn them or not.

Turning is most important up to day 14, so you stopped turning at the worst time, but likely didn't do too much harm. Lack of turning, if it is combined with other minor issues might well reduce your hatch some, but it's definitely worth carrying on with it.

It's unfortunate that many problems, even ones caused early on, do not manifest until right at the end, so movement is a good sign, but it's no guarantee that all is well.

Fingers crossed.

I agree you probably did not do as much damage as you think, I forgot to turn for a day or two here and there and it never made much of a difference. Good luck!

I hope you guys are right. I'm hoping for a decent hatch. The first batch is 14 Buff Orps eggs and 14 RIR that were shipped last Tueday and were received Friday evening. The batch I put in last Sunday were 16 mixed breed chicken eggs and 14 mix breed ducks. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I gues I'll candle on Sunday evening.

Well, I had 2 batches in the incubator and duck eggs. The first batch 2 moved to the hatcher Tuesday (day 18). These were the RIR and BO eggs that were shipped to me. I believe I have 21 or 22 of the 28 original eggs fully developing. As of this morning (day 21) there are no pips. The second batch with started 2 days later moved to the hatcher yesterday. Day 21 for them will be Sunday. Out of the 16 eggs from the 2nd batch 12 are developed. Out of the 14 duck eggs 12 are still good. I think my temp was on the low side (99 degrees). Hopefully they'll pip today or tomorrow. The wet bulb temp is at 89-90 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom