Updated Pics of My Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Ok here are Some new Pics of my Ducks..
    [​IMG]
    Grey Runners. (Need to cull through them this next fall.)
    [​IMG]
    Blue Muscovy Cockerel
    [​IMG]
    A few of my Cayugas
    [​IMG]
    Grey Runner hen
    [​IMG]
    Old Pair of Black Muscovies (Male-10 & Female-8)
    [​IMG]
    Another Pair of Black Muscovies
    [​IMG]

2. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    What beautiful ducks!! I love the first pic it looks like they all "standing " around having a good gossip, great pics those green heads are stunning [​IMG]

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    pretty [​IMG]

4. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Nice pics. That drake in the last pic has so much barnucle!

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If king caruncle in that last pic goes missing, don't you worry... I promise to give him all kinds of treats and snuggles [​IMG]

6. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Nice Ducks. Where did your Runners come from? I have 6 from Holderreads 2009 show stock and am looking for some more high quality Greys. I ordered more penciled , but he doesn't have greys listed....and one of the trio has a defect:( yours look really good, I think they may be cousins:D

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    is that a crested peniciled runner i see in the 1st pic?

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I love the pic of the Runner caught in mid flap- They are all gorgeous ducks.. Thanks for sharing those pics.

9. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:I bought my birds from a breeder that has some from The Holderreads and some from a different line (A Judge) Whom has suposidly been working on them for a long time. I need to get rid of two of the Males in the pics and Just keep the one.. But I have 6 girls.. I think that may be a few too many for one boy.. I was thinking about selling those 2 males and a female then having 1 male and 5 females... Not sure how fertility would be duckyfromoz you raise Runners dont you What do you think???
    is that a crested peniciled runner i see in the 1st pic?

Yep!​

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I actually have mine mostly as pairs or Trios for breeding- so that I know who the parents are. As I am still trying to breed my own line of Harlequin Runners - recording who comes from who has been very important to me. As it turns out this year- I am only keeping one duck whos parents will both still be here for the next breeding season. The others being kept will all have a mother who was borrowed. If I had more room I would still only go for trios- but if fertility in eggs isnt so much of an issue- you could go for a few more females per male. If you are just eating the eggs then fertility doesnt matter- If you are collecting eggs to incubate- then its a waste of space to set infertile eggs- and if you are selling eggs as fertile- you better make sure you have a good fertility rate before selling any- and by that I mean doing a test run in an incubator or under a broody hen.

Also - I always keep a spare drake. Have you considered a ratio of 2 males- 5 females. If something happens to one male- you still have the other and dont have to go search for - or waiting for a replacement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by