updated pics on our ducks rouens and khaki campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wendy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    hi we have 5 khaki campbells and 3 Rouens, all look fine, except this one (Khaki Campbell). poor thing has a bill that is not aligned is the best way i can describe it. like he needs duck braces! what caused this and i guess as he or she grows it will not cause problems i hope, right now the little thing is eating and drinking good like the rest. help me if you have seen this?!

edited to add: my batteries were going dead, it is not the clearest picture in the world. thought i would add some updated pictures. we have had them about two months. can't beieve they have grown so much! the duck with the funny looking beak is doing really good and thriving just as good as the others :)

wendy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    there are allot of chicks with deformaties like that but I have never seen a duck as long as she can eat or drink I think she will be ok don't breed that duck though because it may be a genetic problem.

Good Luck,
    Henry

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:well thank you for the infomation, we bought the ducks at a store here. this is our 4th time buying from the same place and we were wondering what caused it. i don't know if we have her or his siblings since we got 5 of them and they came from a hatchery in new mexico or texas is where this same store we use buys from. so i don't know if we can breed the gene with there sibilings. so far no others show this problem, just the one.

wendy

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    allot of people know allot more about ducks then I do I hope that this little guy makes it and thrives for you I really love ducks and wish I could have some but my mom won't let me.

Henry

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have seen similar situations in chickens, but not in ducks before. Your duckling just has a serious under-bite. It is probably going to need the same treatment as a chicken with scissor beak. Keep the food dish stocked deeply, because it will probably shovel more than pick it up. Same thing with it's water, keep it deep enough to where it can submerge it's beak and drink.

I do not believe that duckling will outgrow his mutation. I think the beak will stay like that into adulthood.

I also believe you will have to carefully moniter and be sure that it gets a complete diet from the grains you feed it. With a beak like that, I do not believe it will forage well.

Since you bought them from the feedstore, you "might" be able to get your money back for this one, just explain it has a defect. They might just let you have it for free because such a duckling would be harder to sell.

Just my opinions on the topic. I hope everything works out well for you and your duckling.

-Kim

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    hey , i did not get to get on here yesterday. my husband had to leave for offhsore and we had alot to do. thank you kim and henry for the info. i hope he or she does well, i feel sorry for it and thought of the ugly duckling story. poor thing!!!

wendy

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    thought i would let everyone know that gave me some info about our duckling that they are doing and i updated some pics :)

Wendy

[​IMG]

three are drakes :) (one is a rouen and the other two are khaki campbells)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  8. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG]

we have 3 drakes for sure and 5 females!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by