Updated PICS on pg. 3!! Silver Penciled Wyandotte chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kryptoniteqhs, Jan 12, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    I hatched 3 Silver Penciled Wyandotte chicks (100% hatch on these guys) and I did the "string test" on them before they hatched and it said I had two pullets and a cockerel. That would be awesome right?! Well there are two that have neat little color patterns on them (not the penciling, still too young for that, more like chipmunk patterns), but then I have one who is solid black almost. He has very very little markings compared to the others. You cant even tell he has any other coloring on him until you pick him up and look closely, mostly on his little forehead. I am wondering if this could be an indication of their sex. I have looked and looked and looked and I cannot find anything on these guys, not even so much as a picture (at this age). They are 5 days old as of today (1/12/08). They hatched super early in the morning on the 7th. Any information would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    anyone?

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have a clue as to an answer for ya, but they're adorable just the same!

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am not sure but judging from chick pictures they will be stunning when they are older I have never seen silver peniclled.

Henry

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks! i hope they turn out purrty!! they sure are now!

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Oooooo!

They are sure to make you proud with thier stunning plumage and and affection.

~Rio

7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ok I realize theyre cute, but nobody has any idea as to why one of them is solid black and the others have chipmunk markings.

8. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    No chick is ever exactly alike in down coloring.

But, maybe the "chipmunk" colored ones are partridge wyandottes and the black one is a gold-laced Wyandotte. Who knows?

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    no theyre all supposed to be silver penciled....i guess your right tho, no chick has the same color down....i was hoping that it might have something to do with their genders

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    [​IMG]

I have no personal experience with silver-penciled but from this picture from Feathersite, it looks like you have 2 silver-penciled and one something else.

HTH

Rusty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by