*Updated* PLEASE HELP!!! with duck hatching to early...day 25

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duck&chickencrazy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Last night i noticed something really strange with my duck eggs that i have in the incubator, the egg that is on day 25 has pipped and is trying to hatch, i dont get it. can they even hatch and be normal this early? I am very worried right now.

This egg wasnt even supposed to be taken out of the turner until tonight and so i am very confused.

the temps have been maintained at 99-100 and the humidity has been on average 40-43.

***I ended up having to help it out and its a good thing i did because it was to big for its shell and could barely get out. i think it might be part mallard and thats why it is so early. If mallards have different hatching days (i dont know if they do or not). It is adorable though. and is now resting in the bator. he is jsut soooo cute. i will try to get pictures soon. i think i will name him (or her) Lunar...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I would guess so, light bloomer

May be like premature birth, let it dry off and them see what you can do

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What kind of duck is it? Call ducks only take 26 days.

4. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    its a mutt, i am not sure what kind...it could be from my blue swedish, cayuga, or buff. Even if it was a call it would be early

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, I would just let it work on hatching. It could take a long time even though it pipped now. By the way, isn't the humidity supposed to be higher...like about 65 or 70?

6. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Ya it is but that temp was for the first 25 days. I have put this egg in the hatcher and the temp is 100 and the humidity is 63-64.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    2 days ago as I was adding water on day 24, I noticed a pipped egg. I wasn't even thinking I needed to check for that before opening the bator to add water. I set the carton flat and closed the bator quickly. By the end of the night, 2 of the 5 were pipped. Yesterday they both hatched and are now fluffy and well. No signs of pipping on the other 3. It's only day 26, so I still have hope. My temps ran low the entire time, so I expected them to be late. IDK

9. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    thanks so much everyone...i really must thank silkiechicken for her post on helping a duck hatch.....THANKYOU THANKYOU [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by