UPDATED: Poor Velda is currently breedless.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Oceanbyrd, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Oceanbyrd

Oceanbyrd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    UPDATE: Velda has become Gertrude*. Oh, and Gertrude is a White Wyandote.

[​IMG]

This is the best picture I have of her, so far. I will try to get another tomorrow. She is about the size of my RIR's and not as big as my Barred Rock. She has a spare, well rounded tail. She is (as far as I can tell, she is still skittish of me and I have only had her 2 days) pure white. Her waddles are medium-smallish and her ears are pinkish/white. Her Comb is short and a bit nubby. It doesn't go as far back on her head as some either.

Any Ideas?

*Mama said, if I was going to name a chicken after her, it should be her favorite, my Barred Rock.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    need a better picture

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2,from the picture she looks white with dark specks on her feather which is making me think of a mix. But clearer pictures would help.

4. Oceanbyrd

Nov 3, 2013
    Ya, should have waited to post until I can snap her tomorrow. She is a bit skittish of me yet, but maybe I can tempt her with a treat. She is very sleek and sassy. I am just so curious to know what she is. I will post tomorrow, so come back and take a look, please.

5. Oceanbyrd

Nov 3, 2013
    She is just dirty. She was crammed into a dog crate with 4 other birds when they brought her to me. I THINK all of the gray is dirt. She is probably a mix, but I was hoping maybe I could get an idea. Will post better pic tomorrow. I was just eager to know [​IMG]

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I will check back tomorrow :)

7. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I will too when I have time. [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Has she laid eggs at all? Egg color is always helpful for breed id.

9. Oceanbyrd

Nov 3, 2013
    Not yet. This is only the second full day with her after having been hauled here in a dog crate. If she does, and I can tell it was her (lol), I will let you know the color.

10. Oceanbyrd

Nov 3, 2013
    Mystery solved. Gertrude* is a Wyandotte. I am embarrassed to say that I should have known what she was. The farmer I got her from said he'd try to get me a Wyandotte from his farm, but if she was too hard get a hold of, he would have to get me something else. I am so new to chickens, I didn't know (from my limited research) that Wyandottes came in white. Thus, I figured he must have given me some other bird and couldn't catch the Wyandotte.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my post, whether you replied or not.

*Mama said, if I was going to name a chicken after her (which I threatened to do when he was poking fun at my chicken obsession), it should be her favorite, my Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by