Updated post: Sick hen drinking a lot of water, not eating a lot, and very weak (cant stand up)

Worriesandwonders

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
Okay, so, I originally posted about this chicken to find the right antibiotic dosage, but decided it wouldn't be a good idea to give her anything. She is very weak and cannot stand up on her own for more than a few seconds. She constantly puts her head down because she cannot keep it up. She is drinking TONS of electrolyte water and her chest is constantly covered in water because she lays down right next to the water bowl. I brought her inside in a crate because its freezing outside. I've been dropping some pumpkin puree on her beak and she licks it up sometimes. Her poops and light tan and very runny. She also breathes through her mouth and makes spit bubbles when she drinks. Any idea of what she might have and if I can help her? She is an older chicken, so I'm debating on whether I should call a vet...

Have you checked her crop? She may be impacted.

When was the last time she laid an egg? When she did lay, were any eggs of poor quality? She may be impacted with an egg obstruction.

Both of these possibilities can cause nutrients not to be absorbed and slow starvation and resulting weakness. Death is the end result unless we can pinpoint the cause and treat it.

Have you checked her crop? She may be impacted.

When was the last time she laid an egg? When she did lay, were any eggs of poor quality? She may be impacted with an egg obstruction.

Both of these possibilities can cause nutrients not to be absorbed and slow starvation and resulting weakness. Death is the end result unless we can pinpoint the cause and treat it.
I am not sure when she last layed an egg. Since they are so old, most havent been laying for months, seemingly never laying again due to age. There is only one hen currently laying in my flock. I am not sure how to check her crop... I would also like to note that she is drinking a lot more water than normally. Probably every 3-5 minutes she is getting a drink. She has made her sitting spot by the water bowl. She has almost drained the medium sized bowl in six hours.

Does she have a watery discharge from her vent ?Look at it closely. Is it pulsating and drippy? Is the vent showing signs of swelling and protrusion? Older hens that haven't laid an egg in a long time are still vulnerable to getting an egg stuck since they usually have poor calcium absorption and shells aren't adequate for the journey down the oviduct. They either collapse or get hung up or both. Just because she's old doesn't mean she won't try to lay an egg once in a while. I had an eleven year old hen lay a perfect egg last season.

To check the crop, you need to feel it and determine if it feels hard and lumpy and over-full or more like a water balloon, soft and squishy and over-full.

It wouldn't be surprising to have both issues at once since an obstruction in the oviduct can form a blockage that causes the digestive system to back up.

Here's how to figure out if you have a crop issue and which one it is.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Does she have a watery discharge from her vent ?Look at it closely. Is it pulsating and drippy? Is the vent showing signs of swelling and protrusion? Older hens that haven't laid an egg in a long time are still vulnerable to getting an egg stuck since they usually have poor calcium absorption and shells aren't adequate for the journey down the oviduct. They either collapse or get hung up or both. Just because she's old doesn't mean she won't try to lay an egg once in a while. I had an eleven year old hen lay a perfect egg last season.

To check the crop, you need to feel it and determine if it feels hard and lumpy and over-full or more like a water balloon, soft and squishy and over-full.

It wouldn't be surprising to have both issues at once since an obstruction in the oviduct can form a blockage that causes the digestive system to back up.

Here's how to figure out if you have a crop issue and which one it is.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Hi, so her crop is barely full and the bit that is in her crop is squishy, presumably all the water she is drinking. She finished her bowl and I refilled it. She then almost drowned herself because she dropped her head in the bowl... She seems to drink everytime she can't get a good breath, which is every 5 minutes. It is nighttime now and she has barely eaten, but has ate some pumpkin puree and some seeds. She is all feathers and bones for the most part. Very lightweight and I can feel every bone in her body. She keeps breathing through her mouth and every 10 minutes she will make a very distressed noise while breathing. If she makes it through the night, I will schedule a vet appointment, but maybe you knew what has happening?

Back
Top Bottom