Updated Project Lavender Orp pics - they're growing nicely

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Apr 19, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I was snapping some pics of our growing pullets today. They range from 12-16 weeks and still have a lot of filling out to do, but I am seeing some good potential in many of them. I will be so excited to see how they look after a year or so, as we all know Orps take so long to reach their full maturity; usually around 18 months- 2 years. I hope you enjoy watching them grow with us.

Look at all that fluff back there...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Oh my word!!!!! [​IMG] I can't wait for the day I'll have such lovely Lav girls as those!! Excellent job Jody!!!

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

They look a little darker than is usually looked for in lavender birds. You might want to select for the lighter coloured birds, for breadth across the shoulders & a bit of depth in the breast. Probably the last two could be solved by obtaining some top notch blacks. [​IMG]

Good luck. [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The pictures do make them look slightly darker than they truly are. We have many gorgeous light colored ones, but way too many to take pictures of. Once we wind down to our final selections, I'll get pics of the groups for everyone to see. Since we're the only ones posting pictures of lavenders from the US, it is hard to compare them to anything..so I'll have to go by eye and compare them to my beautiful buff orps for now. I only expect them to get better year over year.

Thanks Sandy! Your hard work will pay off too and you'll have a beautiful flock of them before you know it. I know how dedicated you are to accomplishing the goal.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Jody, you've done it. You got the color and you have plenty of type to work with. Geez, you must have to pinch yourself when you see these girls every day. Congrats!

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    they are beautiful!! congrats on such wonderful girls!!!

7. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Thanks ladies! I am very happy with how they're looking so far. A lot can change over the coming months, so we'll continue to monitor the best selections for late spring/summer breeding pens.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    wowowowowowoww!!!!

Now if you can get them down to bantam size! [​IMG]

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Since we're the only ones posting pictures of lavenders from the US, it is hard to compare them to anything

Why not compare them to the British lavender orps.

About halfway down this page is a picture of a lavender orp
    & gives a good example of what Lavender Orps are supposed to look like.
    http://www.orpingtonsuk.com/colours.htm

Edited by moderation to remove banned member information. Please refrain from promoting banned members on BYC.

10. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    The US standard is different from the British standard so you can not compare them to the British. I wish our standard was the same as the British. Thanks for posting the pics I love orps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by