UPDATED!! Recent pics! Name that gender, please? :D

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Anjeey, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Anjeey

Anjeey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

So I've never had chickens before. Nope. And, well...I thought maybe it'd be a good idea and all. The husband grows fruits and veggies; why not throw fresh eggs into the mix? So I did a little research and went and bought five day-old baby chicks from my local feed store. We're in the process of building a portable coop+run on wheels. Approx measurements are 8'L x 4'W x 3' H That's a good sized coop for five laying hens, right? Besides, I'm going to let them free range in my backyard for most of the day. It's entirely enclosed and I live in a farming community so having chickens is not out of the ordinary.

I've had them all for about 4 1/2 weeks, and I've grown quite fond of them. They are very simplistic creatures, and are soothing to watch. Anyone else zen out on watching their chickens getting their chicken on? [​IMG] I've actually found that they all have distinct little personalities and I've named them of all things. Before a month ago, I never thought of chickens as more than food.

I'm fairly sure that I've got the breeds figured out. All but one. I believe I have two Barred Rock chicks, A Golden Campine chick, a Black Austrolorp chick, and anonymous yellow chick.

I'd really appreciate anyone who can "name that breed" for me. And maybe tell me whether or not they all are, in fact, female? Pls? Help a n00b out? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Here is a group shot -- these are the most recent pics I have. They have more feather and are much bigger now.
    [​IMG] Here is anonymous yellow -- any idea anyone? o_O At first I thought a boiler may have gotten mixed in with the rest but this one is actually smaller-bodied but just as tall as the others. Also, she seems to be feathering much more slowly...
    [​IMG] Tried to get a side view of the yellow but Estelle got in the way v.v

So? Whatcha think? Any ideas? :d Also -- hens? Roos? Feedback is much appreciated. Will post better recent pics if needed. Kthnx. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You have an EE, 2 barred rocks- one is a boy (see the big clear white spot?), the buff is an orp (watch for pink/white legs) or a gold-link, the black could be an australorp (pink feet underneath) or maybe an andaulsian- looks to be on the small side.
    Congrats! I totally agree on the "chicken zen" !

3. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    I'm gonna have to agree with happymtn. I would have to say the one is ab australorp. ( australorps were my first chickens and will always be my favorites! Congrats on the new babies!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Anj-

Looks like you're doing a fine job taking care of your new chicks......aren't they great?! I just love my chickens....all 19! LOL And to tink I started with just three little chicks......

We also garden. I would really like a fruit tree, and maybe a nut tree too. We just put in a strawberry patch--just got plants from a friend, but it was kind of late in the year so hopefully next year we'll have some strawberries. Our garden wasn't the greatest success this year. It was SO HOT and dry here in Ohio, plus we have well water, so we were afraid to water too much.......

Take care and glad you joined us!
    Sharon

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I agree. On your black one if it turns out to have white ear lobs its a black andalusian white egg layer.
    The yellow one if the legs are yellow its a buff rock.
    4 pullets 1 rooster
    [​IMG]

6. Anjeey

Aug 31, 2010
    OoooOOOOoooOOOooo

You think one is a boy? I was wondering, since the feed store says they're sexed. Oh well...can't always be 100%, I guess my gals will have a rooster to keep them safe. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good thing I've been making sure to handle all of em and tame them up. So far the most skittish one is the Campine and the Orp ( I THOUGHT it might be a Buff Orp, thanks for clinching it for me [​IMG] ) But it's not too bad -- they're more cautious than anything.

Thanks for the nice replies! Nice to have a place to talk about my chickens and have people be interested. /chuckle/ Apparently, they've 'charmed' me and I'll talk about them to anyone that will listen.

I will post more pics in the future -- any idea on when I can tell for sure if "Betty" is a boy? If so, a name change may be in order.

Thanks again!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Feed store sexing usually comes from the hatchery, actually - they ship "pullets" and "roosters" and "straight run" in separate packages. Well, separately marked... And any hatchery can only promise 90% accuracy on sexing.

That's how I got my accidental roo, Carl, an EE who was originally named Carly. I am SO glad I kept him, instead of taking him back or trying to re-home him.

(However, I have some little banty roosters I need to do something about eventually.....)

Anyway, Chicken Zen and Chicken TV is a staple in my life. So funny how each chicken has its own personality. That totally surprised me.

8. Anjeey

Aug 31, 2010
    Here are some recent pics...as in, a few moments ago.

Thank you for telling me what breed they are. Now just one more favor? I think I got a good shot of all of them for you to see. Can I get a vote of either Male or Female for each photo? [​IMG]

[​IMG] -- "Betty" who a couple of people have told me is a rooster. Because of the White spot on her/his head. Likes to challenge the other chickens...but not overly so. Roo or hen?
    [​IMG] -- "Gertie" She's my friend. Also very dominant-acting. She follows me around and seems to like my company the most. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] -- "Estelle" She's the skittery one. But she's pretty so it's ok. She also likes to stand up to the others. She is the best lookout.
    [​IMG] -- "Lizzy Borden" She's the loner. Always by herself doing her own thing. Gets along with everyone, never challenges anyone. My husband named her.
    [​IMG] -- "Twiggy" Also named by the husband. Only concerned with eating and staying with the group. A bit flighty but calms down when gently petted.

I think Twiggy is younger than the others. She had no feathers and was much smaller when I got her. Maybe that's why she isn't as feathered out as the others. The rest are about 5 weeks old I believe. They had tail and wing feathers when I first got them --- maybe a week old when first bought? Not day-old as I had previously thought.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bunches!

9. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I would say if any of them are roos it would be Gertie partly because of the lighter color. That's a characteristic of many barred breeds like the Cuckoo Marans I have. She/he also has a bit larger comb, but may not mean anything if they aren't the same breed. I'll bet the rest are pullets for sure. You have a very interesting group. I like a multicolored flock! Keep your post going - I'd like to know how this turns out:pop

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think #2 is a boy. #5 I'm leaning towards boy. The rest look like girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by