Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

Pics
Got another one for you... Six year old Cochin found this morning, dead, empty crop, a little thin. A few days ago I noticed that she was a little depressed and not interested in food and during her cloacal exam I think I felt those dreaded "egg bits" or possibly cancer, so I suspect she died from EYP or cancer. Will do her later today or tomorrow. The next time one of my older hens dies I will send her to the lab to rule out diseases that might be causing these egg issues.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Just talked to the doctor at UC Davis and the cause of death was ascites due to a heart defect. Will post the official report once I get it and edit off my personal info, lol.

-Kathy

I had a hen die from EYP/eggbound. She had a hard shelled egg that was stuck, it had nowhere to get out. It was walled off in a sac somehow. I had to cut the egg out of her. I did her necropsy. Here are my pics.

Super fat abdomen (yellow), slight cloacal prolapse. The stuck egg is making the belly even more swollen.

close-up of same view

Note the small infected areas on the skin (I popped the pustules, white thick paste came out)

this is belly fat and drooping lower abdominal muscle.

Zoom-out of same view

Intestines in center (both sides of fat pulled away to the sides) -the fat was very thick!

My finger is pointing to an undeveloped egg in the ovaries.

Ovaries & intestines (LOOK at all that yellow fat!)

Last edited:
This picture doesn't look normal to me... It looks like breast meat in the wrong place?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you for labeling the pictures.
Do you know why she would get eggbound ?

Back
Top Bottom