1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains XXX Graphic Necropsy Photos

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Sep 14, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    He Was delivered at 10:30 am, so I should have a preliminary report in a few hours.

-Kathy

2. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Got another one for you... Six year old Cochin found this morning, dead, empty crop, a little thin. A few days ago I noticed that she was a little depressed and not interested in food and during her cloacal exam I think I felt those dreaded "egg bits" or possibly cancer, so I suspect she died from EYP or cancer. Will do her later today or tomorrow. The next time one of my older hens dies I will send her to the lab to rule out diseases that might be causing these egg issues.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Just talked to the doctor at UC Davis and the cause of death was ascites due to a heart defect. Will post the official report once I get it and edit off my personal info, lol.

-Kathy

2 people like this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks for the info Kathy, interesting to know. You're having a time of it, that's for sure.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I had a hen die from EYP/eggbound. She had a hard shelled egg that was stuck, it had nowhere to get out. It was walled off in a sac somehow. I had to cut the egg out of her. I did her necropsy. Here are my pics.

[​IMG]
    Super fat abdomen (yellow), slight cloacal prolapse. The stuck egg is making the belly even more swollen.

[​IMG]
    close-up of same view

[​IMG]
    Note the small infected areas on the skin (I popped the pustules, white thick paste came out)

[​IMG]
    this is belly fat and drooping lower abdominal muscle.

[​IMG]
    Zoom-out of same view

[​IMG]
    Intestines in center (both sides of fat pulled away to the sides) -the fat was very thick!

[​IMG]
    My finger is pointing to an undeveloped egg in the ovaries.

[​IMG]
    Ovaries & intestines (LOOK at all that yellow fat!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    I am sorry for your losses but I must say thank you for sharing all this info. I have learned so much from it

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    This picture doesn't look normal to me... It looks like breast meat in the wrong place?
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  8. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Could you post next to each picture what we are looking at ?
    Thanks.

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    She is a bantam cochin. That is lower abdominal muscle. The breast is up higher. Plus the camera angle makes it look like that.

10. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Thank you for labeling the pictures.
    Do you know why she would get eggbound ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by