Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

Pics
I really want to see more
1f601.png

Kathy, Is that in English? lol, but is this what you might think the chicken might have had?

I really want to see more
1f601.png

Me too, and more pictures please!
Glad I'm not the only one with a morbid sense of curiosity, lol. I actually think that both died from reproductive issues and that their deaths are not from a disease.

Back in may I suspected that the second hen was having trouble laying eggs, so I kept her inside, gave her calcium, warm baths and tube fed her. She escaped, so I just let her stay out since she seemed to be doing better, but in my heart I knew that she was living on borrowed time. The day before she died I noticed that the area below her vent was blue, like like bruising or infection. She's only been dead for a couple of days, but she smells like she been dead for a week sitting in the sun, so I'm guessing that she had a ragin infection from being an internal layer, but I could be wrong.

She smells so bad that I have to do her today! Interestingly, I had a horse colic and die a few months ago and he did something similar in that 12 hours after death his body was so smelly and he was so bloated that blood, serum or something was oozing from his pours. The tallow guy said that was common in them when they died from sepsis.

-Kathy

Oh gross! But I bet you are right. You are stronger than me. I love pus and gore, but smells!!! NO way!!!!!
I search on here and you tube for incision and drainage of animal abscesses. Sick I know!!!
I was a recovery room nurse for 10 years and when we were slow, I would go to the operating room to see all them drain infections and abscesses.
I loved it!!!!!!! Lol

Last edited:
What you are seeing in the roof of the mouth is called frounce in birds of prey, but it is actually carried by pigeons and doves. Here's a link that describes it pretty well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichomonas_gallinae 

I have both wet and dry pox in my flock right now,so I'm pretty sure it is not Canker (frounce). Also, according to two avian pathologists at UC Davis, Canker in chickens is rare and one of them has only seen two cases of it in poultry in the last ten years.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom