1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Updated* Very weak 1 day old muscovy with eyes closed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ksj0225, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ksj0225

ksj0225 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Besides dipping the beak into water, what else can I do for this little duck when I get home this afternoon.

I didn't think any ducks would make it out of this clutch. I'm not sure how many eggs are even fertilized and if so I "thought" they had been sitting on them way past the 31 days. Two ducks one nest and neither are great sitters and neither have been a mom before. But one VERY weak little duck was laying in the nest yesterday afternoon. We dipped the beak in water yesterday and this morning. I've read about the boiled eggs and stuff, but it really doesn't seem strong enough to eat. It's eyes seem matted (sp?) shut. It can hold it's head up some and bear some weight on it legs some so all hope isn't lost, just looking for suggestion. Is there anything I can put in the water like sugar or molasses?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Yes you can put some sugar in the water to help. I would suggest a vitamin pack that has electolights and other things in it to help the little thing. Usually feed stores will have them. You just mix like a teaspoon into a gallon of water. Eggs do help for food. So does mashed peas and he might be to young for yogurt. Not sure on that.

Good luck and keep us post!

3. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    TSC has "Chick Saver" which is a powder you put into the water.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows the baby?

5. ksj0225

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Well she/he is still kicking so I took it from the bad moms and it's inside. I hate to do it but it wasn't in the nest when I went out there and it had got wet with some turned over water. One eye looks slightly better, the other still matted shut (hard and crusty).

I immediately gave it some pediatlite and it perked up some.

So far I have cleaned it up from it getting wet and nasty, wet both eyes, blow dried it gently, and set up a bin with a lamp and a towel. It's so weak I'm afraid to leave a water source in there but I keep dipping it's beak in the pedialite/water mix and it likes that. Should be able to get out to Tractor supply tonight to get some of that green sav a chick stuff.

I have a great mom with 4 day old babies that I'm hoping to be able to give this one to once I can get it healthier...

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you have some neosporin w/o pain try putting a little of it around it's eyes. I had one duckling hatch [muscovy] on June 2 of this year, mama had pushed it out of the nest and when I found it it was still wet and cold with peck marks on it head. I put it back under mom and went to feed everyone came back she had pushed it out again, so I ended up bringing it inside set it up like you have done and it is the most precious thing. almost most 10 weeks now and gets along great with everyone. At least you might be able to intergrate it in with the mama and her ducklings but I'd let it get some strength first before I try. also might use a little warm salt water to wash the eye out. mine goes out of a day time and comes in and sleeps at night. [I think it thinks its a puppy] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. ksj0225

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    What can I feed this little one... mashed peas out of can? I don't think it can do regular duck food. Doesn't it need something besides just liquid?

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    try making some mash. just put water with crumbles. i did this with some at first they can almost drink it. if it won't eat that mash up some peas without skin and try that. good luck

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows the baby doing this afternoon?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by