UPDATED: *video added* The Chick and The Older Ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aunt Angus, May 25, 2019.

1. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I have 4x8 coop and a 113 sq ft run in which my 5 birds are confined in the mornings. My birds free range several hours every day.

My BO went broody, so we gave her a chick that she adopted. BO has been a great mama, but her chick is almost 6 weeks old. Mama has started laying again and has been leaving the chick alone more and more.

What I've noticed is that my 3 other pullets, almost 10 months old, really don't want anything to do with the chick. They chase her and peck at her sometimes whenever confined in the run. Mama doesn't always intervene like she used to. I have places where the chick can run to get away from the older ladies, but she would much prefer to be with Mama. Luckily, she hasn't been injured, but it's sure tough to watch.

How much bullying is too much? And when/how should I intervene (if at all)?

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Hmm... It's hard to say without seeing it in person... Maybe she needs some other chicks her age? Otherwise she will probably always be the bullied hen.

Aunt Angus likes this.
  3. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I will get a video tomorrow. I am getting 3 more chicks in 2 weeks.

I know the pecking order needs to be established, I'm just so new to chickens that I can't tell what's normal and what's excessive.

4. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    great!

5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop

This shoes Zinnia, my BPR, going after her, but I've seen all of them do it (except her mama, of course) at one point or another.

Thoughts? Advice?

mesalina87 and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  6. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Sorry.. that is a bit more than corrective... They aren't wanting to let her eat... Make sure and have a place where she can get food, but the hens can't reach her... Beautiful flock Btw!

Aunt Angus likes this.
  7. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    That's what I thought. She does have her own food and water, but she wants to be with her mama. When free ranging, all goes well. It's just when they are in the run. I will set up a separate run for them.

Do you think they will ever accept her? I had hoped her mama would integrate her better. She was raised with the flock. The problems just started a couple of days ago.

8. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    And thanks for the compliment! I think they're beautiful, but I'm biased.
    :D

9. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I will add a bunch of brick-a-brack to the run to give her more places to avoid the other pullets. I don't want to remove them or anything since I will just have to go through it all over again when I decide to put 'em together again. If she gets injured, that plan will change, but for now, I will watch...

10. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I think they will exept her fine!
    I don't think you are!
    great!

Aunt Angus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: