Updated w/pix!: I hate to bring back up diapers but.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eryn, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I do have a question for all the crazy owners like me out there! I am wanting to make diapers and I saw on mypetchicken.com that it is just a little pouch with elastic suspenders to go around their wings... anyone use this style? plus any tips on measurements? never fitted a chicken before so ya know! [​IMG] thanks everyone! [​IMG]

edited to change title to updated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hello again!
    well, i think on this website they offer advice on how to measure the chicken for diapers.
    http://www.birdwearonline.com/
    if you do get chicken diapers PLEASE take pics and post them - i (and i'm sure tons of others) would love to see!

3. Eryn

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I will post once I get some on her! I tried making one tonight that I hope will fit, since she is asleep I can't really measure her... LOL but I will give it a try in the morning (like 3 or 4 hours at this point! [​IMG] ) and see how I need to adjust it... I'll let everyone know how it goes and get some pix, I also found some cute fabric I'm gonna made a modified saddle out of to make kind of a skirt! I have so many ideas on how to dress her up LOL my husband thinks I'm nuts but oh well I'm having fun! [​IMG]

4. TucsonFrizzled

TucsonFrizzled Out Of The Brooder

HiYa ~[​IMG]

Fancie (Silkie) wears a diaper we got from Ruth Cahill. We really need to order more because this one has been worn almost everyday since last Spring.

I learned to modify a sandwich bag using masking tape, and to tape it to the diaper. The suspenders are not easy to deal with, because Fancie tended to get a foot or two tangled in the elastic during the day. It helped when I used masking tape to stabilize the elastic straps. I taped cross pieces in two places about an inch apart. This has helped her not get tangled in her underwear!

She is allowed to go many more places with the freedom of the diaper. There have been occasions when she managed to poop on the back of the diaper. So, it needs to be monitored a couple of times a day. When she is laying eggs, it will go in the poopy pouch and need to be dug out. Also, I have managed to feed her enough treats to fill the diaper early, or with loose watery stool from sharing fruit with her.

At the end of her day, I pick her up and slip off the pouch to find a small plastic bag with a load of poo in it. Easy to handle, either throw it away or flip it inside out to dump into the compost.

When I need to clean the diaper, I just use the bathroom soap or the dish soap to wash it out, and it dries in no time.

The diaper fascinates everybody. Fancie is a people magnet already, but the poopy pouch is the icing on the cake for many grown ups.

I heartily recommend diapers for your beloved chooks. But be aware, that even though you are putting them on for the 100th time, your chookie will object until it is over and she is walking around on the floor. [​IMG] Fancie is still fussy about my putting it on her. Prehaps because pre-showing, I take it off for about two weeks to work on destaining her poof.

Wendy and Fancie (the dressed up chicken)
    SooperDooper Coops

[​IMG]

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Eryn

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    So I tried the suspender type it didn't work out to well, I found a sort of pattern here on the forum and decided to modify it. Basically there is a strap that goes around her neck, it attaches to the pouch under her belly. it also has a bit of extra length on her behind her head that fall down between her wings, I put to straps that I tie there to hold it in place. It seems really secure, she hates it of course! She kept picking at it, so I only left it on her like 10 minutes outside (supervised of course!), I figure I will just keep at it and keep it on a bit longer each day! Anyone have any suggestions about getting them use to it?

I also took some pictures with my camera phone! They are blurry and such since it was on my phone, this weekend when my DH is home during daylight I will get him to take some good pictures with his camera! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TucsonFrizzled

TucsonFrizzled Out Of The Brooder

HiYa'll ~[​IMG]

Fancie gets dressed almost everyday, it takes her
    a while to get settled into her diaper. She picks and scratches and it takes sometimes more than ten minutes. I recommend that you just stick it on her and let it go for the day.

As she makes her way around the house it will bother her less. Fancie stops several times during the day and to pay attention to it, and then goes on with her business.

When I have made it too tight, she does this really funny shimmy while going backwards.

When I put Fancie's (who is a Silkie) diaper on Ruby, (who is a cochin), R could not walk in it and kept falling over. However, Sparkle (de U'ccle) was just fine and even flew up to the back of the couch. I don't know if Ruby needed a diaper with different dimensions, but it was very funny.

Wendy and Fancie (who likes walking around the house and thus will put up with the diaper)

[​IMG]

8. Eryn

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks Tucson! I will put it back on her and give her a while to see if she settles down or not! I will report back later hehe [​IMG] I am so excited I want to be able to bring her inside sooooo bad! [​IMG]

9. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    on the diapers how do the lay their eggs without them getting dirty

10. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    on the diapers how do the lay their eggs without them getting dirty

The eggs get dirty unless you take the diaper off before she lays. Leaving the diaper on all day long does tend to trap moisture against the hen's bottom if a plastic liner is used. She will need some diaper-free time.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by