*Updated with cute kitty PICS!* OMG, what am I getting myself into?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by silkhope, Sep 19, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I belong to our county bulletin board and someone posted about two free kittens. I saw it, didn't think anything of it, people started asking questions about it and the lady who posted said she got this info from her neighbor, the neighbor got one of the kittens took it to the vet and it's only 3-4 weeks old so she is bottle feeding. No one knows where the mother is. The owner told her if he didn't get rid of the others, he would feed them to his snake. [​IMG]

So me being the animal lover contacted her immediately and she is putting me in touch with the neighbor who got the one kitten... so I can get the other two.

OMG, what am I getting myself in to. I can't leave those precious kittens in that situation.... but my life is full of stress at the moment, all the time actually (my husband is in the first stages of ALS), to take on raising two babies... Oh man. I want them though! That's the hard part. I want to save them... and I have a strong feeling about it... it's not like me to just say, where can I pick them up!?! KWIM?

And another thing, I work full time... they're going to need attention all day. Hmmm, perhaps my retired dad or SAH neighbor.... [​IMG]

Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Your not crazy -- your are just a big,kind,hearted animal lover like most of us here I am sure. I would be doing the same thing if I found out about some babies needing help - I am normally the person that everyone takes unwanted puppies to, last month I took in a duck that was living in a small pen with no room to move around- not needing another duck I took her in anyway and I am glad I did she is great and fun to have around.
    Good luck with the babies I am sure you will find plenty of people to give you a helping a hand.

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Yes, you are crazy. [​IMG]

Get the kittens anyway. [​IMG]

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Jeeh, you mean I'm not alone in this kitty rescue business? Bless your soul silkhope. I wish you only the best. I see lots of KMD formula for the little one. Look up the thread about "my gravely ill kitten that passed over the rainbow bridge". It had some great tips on formula feeding and stuff to add to the kitten to make it healthy. Good luck with everything!

5. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Silkhope. Of all the animals to adopt, kittens, I think are the easiest. You don't have to house break them. Just give them a box. You won't have to hand feed them much longer as they should start on their own very soon and then just make sure they have good food and fresh water and lots of attention and your hubby may find them very comforting.

And they don't need a lot of constant attention. I'm sure you know that cats have a way of getting their attention when they need it. Remember, You don't own cats. They own you! LOL!
    God Bless you.

6. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Thanks guys... I'm excited and nervous! The neighbor is getting in touch with the kitten "owner" tomorrow (they have no phone) and if they still have them [​IMG] I'll get them tomorrow afternoon. EEK!!

I'll let ya know!!

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Mine didn't make it either.
    We tried hard, but it was too far gone.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    For every dirt bag out there that mistreats an animal, there must be at least one or two good people like you to put things back together. Way to go [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Take the kittens to work with you if you can.

I hand raised a kitten who was about 2-3 weeks when I got her. Soooo weak - there were 5 in the litter and 3 looked great and there were two who were very weak. I took both but the brother didn't make it [​IMG]

I ended up just taking her to work with me. I had a very small carrier - soft sided, made for a guina pig, bird/rat size - and kept a shoe box for a small litter box under my desk. She only 'went' when I massaged her anyway after a feed, so that really wasn't a problem until she got older and stronge. She made no noise and made no mess, and really needed to be fed every 2-3 hours at first.

Everyone in the office was goo goo over miss Ellie (Ellis is her 'real' name - after L.S. for Lucky and Shoulder which where the two names my kids came up with)

She went to work with me until she FINALLY started eating solids around 7 wks. She was such a baby!

She ended up a beautiful kitty and taking her to work was such fun!

Susan

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like they might be old enough to go to the bathroom by themselves and they could probably learn to lap their KMR from a bowl. Unless they are ill, they shouldn't be much trouble at all. I would set up a small area for them, so they are close to a shallow litter box, food and water. An entire house can be a bit much for them, at first.

Two is great, because they can keep each other company and when they go through their frisky stage, they'll have each other to chase and play with. I would do it!

When I'm having an especially bad day and am too ill to do more than lay in the recliner, my little cat always comes over to lay by me. We call her my little nurse. She is so sweet and is such a comfort to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by