1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Updated with new pics, opinions please! Leg mites or feathered legs?? AND possible fungus on comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ElysianAcres, Aug 23, 2014.

1. ElysianAcres

ElysianAcres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    I just adopted this Australorp x Silkie mix since she's a proven broody and good mother. The lady I got her from blamed the crazy raised scales on her legs on her feathered leg gene, saying that this chick's siblings all have feathered legs but this one doesn't. The first thing that jumped in my mind though is leg mites! I have no experience with this particular mix, or with leg mites, so I don't know if the lady is delusional or if she could be right.
    Also, I'm concerned about her comb- it is very sad looking and splotchy- does it look like fungus or mold (or... anything?)
    She is currently in quarantine, I've already bathed her legs and soaked her in warm soapy water, and I've already covered her legs in a paste of vaseline and peppermint oil just to be safe. She won't be interacting with my flock until I'm positive that I know what we're dealing with!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She appears to have scaly leg mites and perhaps favus on her comb. A forum search on 'favus' will bring up several threads regarding treatment.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    That is one definate case of scaley leg mites...they can affect the comb also...put some vaseline of the comb too.

Thank goodness the chicken is now in safe hands...bless you and her!!!!

She is one lovely looking chicken too!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It will take a while to get all that crap off her legs as well. Every few days I would recover her legs in oil to keep killing any that may hatch. They excrete stuff that makes the scales on the legs raise and it takes some soaking to get that all off. Try not to pull any scales off. It breaks open the skin and infection can set in. Glad you have her.

5. ElysianAcres

Aug 6, 2014
    I'm back, with some updated pictures of her. I've been bathing and soaking her legs every other day, followed by a good smear of Vaseline and peppermint oil. The crustiness is certainly starting to look better, but it has revealed to me that she DOES, in fact, have some feathery buds poking out from under some of the scales! So maybe the lady wasn't all wrong? I suspect that mites are still part of the problem and I'm going to continue her treatment and quarantine, but I've just never seen legs like this that are "almost feathered", and wondering how much more improvement she'll show? Here are some updated pics, and if you look closely you can see the bits of black fluff sticking out from underneath some of the scales.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  6. ElysianAcres

Aug 6, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are a few more pics, for some reason I could only attach one to my update above. Also, here's a pic of how her comb is looking. I've also been putting Vaseline on it. Does it still look like favus?
    [​IMG]

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Chickens with feathered legs will pull the feathers in their frantic attempts to stop the itching caused by leg mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by