UPDATED WITH PIC - Bumblefoot - I searched but still have a question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dogzrule5, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I'm feeding a woman's animals this week and she has a two year old turkey that is huge and very sweet. He has a very large bump on the top of one of his feet and he limps a little.

Earlier today I was searching about bumblefoot and came across pictures of birds with black spots on the bottoms of their feet. His bump is big and on the top of his foot.

Would this still be bumblefoot - or just a growth???

thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    You could probably treat it as bumblefoot and see if it gets better.... aybe someone else will come along who knows more aobut turkeys..

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    There is usually a plug on the foot with bumblefoot. Could be on top or bottom. If the swelling is on top doesn't matter. Look at the bottom for the plug. If there isn't one, it is more likely gout.

Jody

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The swelling on the top is the inflammation coming all the way through the foot from the bottom.

5. dogzrule5

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I'll see if I can take a good look at the bottom of his foot this evening. He's really sweet but absolutely HUGE!

thanks, all!

6. dogzrule5

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Please take a look at this picture and tell me if it's Bumblefoot. Thank you.

7. dogzrule5

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Would you kind folks please take a look at this and tell me what you think it might be?

Thank you.

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I haven't seen bumblefoot personally, but I would treat that as bumblefoot. it looks puss-filled with ascab on top, leading me to believe there is infection there.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    That's bumblefoot.

10. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    should be treated as Bumblefoot..
    and possibly given both topical and systemic antibiotics..
    the antibiotics should be proper for treating Staph infection. Neosporin or Polysporin as topical..(NOT with pain killer)
    diluted betadine flush.
    some are Pen-g procaine..also, Cypro might do as systemics..tho a vet might have something else better for use in turkeys.
    confine the turkey to a small area with food and water and clean soft bedding to rest the foot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by