Updates and Saying Goodbye to Gracie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stormhorse23, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Hello again! Its been so long since I've posted. I've come a long way since I first began with chickens. I now have a 100 sq foot dog run for my chickens and might be adding on another eventually! I have 11 chickens but sadly, my beautiful Light Brahma is being put to sleep soon for unknown causes. She is fading quickly and can barely move. I have her isolated inside a warm box in the bathroom. She has no mass to her and her face is pale and her comb shriveled to nothing. She is only a few months old. No other chicken is sick or even weak. All others are thriving.

I took some pictures of me and Gracie together. This is our last day. A lot might not understand how much I absolutely love this chicken, but I love her more than my dogs! Here we are. you will have to refresh the page to see all the pictures[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the others and their run and coop. A larger coop is in the process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all. Thank you for looking. i wanted to share my babies and beautiful Gracie with you

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry about your girl. Are you getting a exam done on her after she is put down to see what went wrong?

As a side note, I noticed all the others sleeping in the nest boxes, I assume in your coop renovations you'll be getting roosts put in? It's a bad habit to be in nest boxes, since when they start laying eggs, they will have poo on them.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

How long has she been ill? What have you tried? Is her poo normal? I am guessing she wont eat? Did you try electrolytes and vitamins...maybe some hard boiled egg? I am so very sorry you are loseing her...I think I can safely say...we all understand your feelings on the loss. Strange how we can get so close to a chicken! She is beautifull!

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    she eats and drinks fine. this has been like this for weeks, no change

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    sorry about ur bird.

6. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I understand. I had Goldie.. the first chicken i ever hatched. i had given her away when i tired of chickens and i reclaimed her when i found out her new home was in a neglected state. and i got more chickens.
    she was the queen of the yard 5 years old laid the most huge eggs ive ever seen.. then one day i found her dead on the nest.. she left me with a huge egg and gave her all for it. ill forever remember Goldie..

7. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Sorry to hear about that storm. Is a pretty brahma.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry your sweet girl is so ill - I'm sure you are a comfort to her......
    JJ

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm sorry for you and your girl. I've been in the same position and it is just terrible.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry for you and your birdy.
    Sometimes these things just happen...and you just never know the cause.
    Godspeed dear Gracie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by