Updates: Hen is now recovered from being egg-bound!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My hen Chica is a new layer. She was egg-bound earlier today and laid two eggs at once, possibly three. She isn't doing well. She refuses to drink, but ate a little. She barely moves. She is panting with her wings out and won't get up. She tried to poop, but only watery diarreah came out. She sits down in the corner and pants. I tried wetting her beak and comb, but she doesnt accept it and looks away. I showed her the water, but she won't get a drink. We have a fan on them right now. Their coop is outside, but under a roof and its cooler that outside. I don't know what to do. Should I nurse her indoors or what? I don't know what would be best for poor Chica. Please, help! I feel so sorry for her.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I'm thinking heat stroke. You can give her some electrolytes. Keep her cool and try not to handle her. Have plenty of cold water for her, and a fan if possible.

That's all I can suggest. I hope someone with more experience can help [​IMG]

3. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Should we give her Gatorade or sugar water? I heard also, Jello or honey. What would work best?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I've heard sugar water is great for hens with heatstroke (is gives them some energy also). You could also try yoghurt, and even watermelon. You need to keep the hen as cool and comfortable a possible.

I've heard that giving them baths is good, as long as you try and keep her as stress-free as possible, however I'm won't strongly recommend it.

A search on the forum will yield some results and treatments.

Best of luck to you and your hen [​IMG]

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! I'm heading out to give them some nice, cool yogurt now. I'll post back.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Also, freeze some water containers and put them in the coop [​IMG]

Glad to be of help [​IMG]

7. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have heard that some folks put out water for them to walk through and they can cool themselves by walking in the water. idk...I live in NY, never that hot here.

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ok. Should I let them eat the frozen water, or just have it in there. I'm getting them yogurt, now. I will be back to post how she's doing.

9. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

10. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:If you like you could put a few in. Some for eating, or some just to help cool down the coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by