Updates on Jo... the Gynandromorph / Chimera Chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Deannster, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Deannster

Deannster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    I've been wondering about Jo every since she was a young thing... I have never been able to figure out what kind of chicken she is, although I had assumed she was a pullet as that's how she was sold to me. A friend here on BYC told me I had a rooster, and yet, he was still one of the strangest chicks she'd ever seen, from his irregular feathering down to his mis-matched legs. My friend posted some photos on the Gender/Breed section and a tentative consensus has been formed that I may have a chimera on my hands. I've been taking photos of my entire flock every couple weeks to document their growth... these are from Jo's photoshoots.

3 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 weeks old (current photos):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've found her development pretty fascinating and thought this might be a good place to share her story and get some feedback. What do you think? Do I have a chimera on my hands?

Edited to add: Here is the initial thread that got this all started. Thanks, Amy!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I don't know what breed it is, but what a cutie!!! Is it a rooster??

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Looks like it could be roo genes on the left and hen genes on the right. The wattles are different sizes unless it's my imagination

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I don't know much about chimeras, but it definitely looks like the few I've seen on here...maybe redcatcher will chime in... [​IMG]

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Wow, what a unique and pretty bird you have there. The mismatched feet are uncanny, but adorable!

6. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Whoa! Its like half of him is an entirely different chook!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's half female, half male. [​IMG]

8. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:That's what I was thinking. I've heard of it, but never seen it. Very pretty bird though. Just hope it isn't too terribly confused being half and half if that's the case.
    I know males and females of any species don't always see eye to eye. Imagine trying to be level with yourself! >_< "Do I eat the food or tell the girls about the food!?" "Do I lay an egg or scream about the awesome nesting spot!?"
    >_<

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    He/She will be having a lot of inner struggles with who he/she is! LOL! [​IMG] Thanks for posting D! I LOVE your pics and this little....uhhh...guy/gal??? [​IMG]

10. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Quote:That's what I was thinking. I've heard of it, but never seen it. Very pretty bird though. Just hope it isn't too terribly confused being half and half if that's the case.
    I know males and females of any species don't always see eye to eye. Imagine trying to be level with yourself! >_< "Do I eat the food or tell the girls about the food!?" "Do I lay an egg or scream about the awesome nesting spot!?"
    >_<

Yeah, I'm eager to see weather Jo will lay an egg and crow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by