Upgraded coop and Automatic doors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DJSams, Apr 21, 2011.

1. DJSams

DJSams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Been working on upgrading the coop and installing automatic doors and waterers.

Automatic door 1 works with a pool pump and pumps water into the counter weight
    of a morning to raise the door and drains down at night to shut it. also operates the meaties brooder door by pullys
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

As the water is being pumped during the day it goes through the pvc pipe to water the chickens
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I like the concept of dual functions. Does the water run all day and how/where does it drain out at the end of the day?

4. DJSams

Mar 20, 2011
    Yes the water runs all day circulating through the waterers, then the timer shuts off at night drains the weight tube and the doors go shut. Drains back into a 5 gal bucket, just have to add some water every 3 or 4 days.

[​IMG]

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

That is mind-blowingly cool. Why did you pick that technology?

6. DJSams

Mar 20, 2011
    I'm Cheap !!! Pump was on sale at Harbor Freight for $10. Almost everything else was just left over from other projects except for a few fittings. Next challenge is to keep it from freezing, I'm hoping that with the water moving it won't freeze during the day. and I can insulate the bucket to keep it from freezing at night.

7. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Very cool, have to love Harbor Freight! Love how simple it seems to maintain! [​IMG]

8. DJSams

Mar 20, 2011
    Thank You [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by