Upgraded my brooder for incoming Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tomhusker, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Songster

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    We sent our 4 Lavender orp chicks out to the newly remodeled coop last week. And just in time, too, as the 4 of them were out growing the Tote brooder I had made for them.
    Well, it seems that my trusty enabler kathyinmo is doing what enablers do, and the DW and I will be swinging by her place on our way back from vacation early next week to pick up a few Jersey Giant chicks. These chicks are not new hatch, as they were hatching a couple of weeks ago at least when I first contacted Kathy about them. So, I knew I needed a bigger brooder since the orpington chicks were crowded at 4 weeks and these new ones are... well.... GIANTS.
    I had a large wooden box that me and my grand daughter built a couple of years ago for our ice fishing ventures that won't be happening (I now live in Missouri and the ice gets 1" thick so no ice fishing). We decided to modify this and make it into a new brooder. I removed the front panel and the bottom panel, then removed the panel from the lid frame. We then attached hardware cloth to the wood frame of the box and lid. Next, using scrap pieces of 2x4 I screwed onto each corner, I raised the brooder up about 3". I then trimmed a little wood from the front panel that was removed earlier so I could slide it under the brooder to catch all the droppings on news paper.
    This is almost 3 times the size of the Tote brooder and looks like a real winner. I was pretty proud of the way it turned out. Here is a couple of pics:

You can see here the light is hung on hook on one of the feet I made when not in use. It will just sit on top of the brooder at one end. Also, note the hook holding the lid open. It is heavy and I didn't want it to fall, so I mounted eye bolts in the wall and lid, then made a hook. Also, I left the Ice Fishing decal on it.
    [​IMG]

Here is the old brooder next to it. Looks larger than it really is.
    [​IMG]

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Thats really nice! I am soooo jealous your getting JG chicks from Kathy!! If you wake up one morning and they are all vanished.....um, they werent stolen by me and then flown to Ca to enjoy the California lifestyle!!! [​IMG] (I swear, [​IMG] )

congrats! What colors are you getting?

3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Songster

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    LOL... I have no idea what color I am getting. I'll take plaid as long as I get them. I really lucked out and contacted her at the right time.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Heck ya, you did!! Very nice of Kathy to hook you up!!

I'm halfway through hatching some eggs from her Jersey line. You could say I'm excited- I keep emailing her updates like every other day, ON EGGS!!!! Her birds are soooo pretty and big! I cant wait to see what I get, I ordered 2 dozen B/B/S eggs, and they traveled a LOOOOONG way to me, and now I have 16 wiggly embryos!!

You simply MUST post pics of your chicks when you get them!!

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    So where are the Pictures Please? I think I got two jersey Giants in my Variety pack. (I got 20 assorted pullets) Anywho - two of the 4 little black chicks - who hatched 6/14 have feet as large as my rooster and seem bigger than the rest by a head. The other two don't have tails. I am thinking they might be Jersey Giants - their feet are black also. They are very sweet and friendly and love treats. They are like Baby Hueys though - seriously HUGE feet.

I will add a picture later
    anxiously waiting to see your babies
    Caroline

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Songster

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    We are leaving for vacation Friday, and will return through western Missouri on Tuesday and pick up the chicks. You can bet there will be pics a plenty. I got a new camera and am not shy about using it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by