Upper resp infection

KentuckyRooster

Songster
5 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Kentucky
My silkie cock woke up yesterday with a nasty nose (off white discharge) and swollen eye. I got him on tylan right away and eye drops(antibiotic ones) for the eye. Hes breathing loudly tonight though and sneezy, I dont think there's been enough time for the medicine to kick in yet. I put a little vet rx around his beak to hopefully open his airway. Hes crowing and acting normal.

Is there anything else I can do for him while I wait for the medicine to work? I'm worried, this bird is very special he's a house pet who's my boyfriend's baby so I have to get him fixed up. Ill go to the vet if he doesnt improve soon

What dosage of Tylan50 are you using?

There are several common respiratory illnesses that affect chickens - Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, ILT and Infectious Coryza. Mycoplasma usually responds well to antibiotic treatment while Infectious Bronchitis (which is viral) has to run it's course - the Tylan can help with secondary infection. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Since he is in the house, is he exposed to any other chickens? Do you have any chickens outside that may have respiratory illness that could have been transmitted inside?

What dosage of Tylan50 are you using?

There are several common respiratory illnesses that affect chickens - Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, ILT and Infectious Coryza. Mycoplasma usually responds well to antibiotic treatment while Infectious Bronchitis (which is viral) has to run it's course - the Tylan can help with secondary infection. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Since he is in the house, is he exposed to any other chickens? Do you have any chickens outside that may have respiratory illness that could have been transmitted inside?
We have had what I believe to be infectious bronchitis going around my flock right now. It usually displays as a runny nose with clear mucous and no other symptoms, birds get better with no intervention and don't catch the illness again after having it once. I caught it off a bird I bought.

So I'm sure that is what started this- but he has to have a secondary. I've never had one this bad.

It's 1 ML twice a day of tylan 50.

We have had what I believe to be infectious bronchitis going around my flock right now. It usually displays as a runny nose with clear mucous and no other symptoms, birds get better with no intervention and don't catch the illness again after having it once. I caught it off a bird I bought.
So I'm sure that is what started this- but he has to have a secondary. I've never had one this bad.

It's 1 ML twice a day of tylan 50.
He may have secondary infection. Sometimes one respiratory illness can be accompanied by another or the illness weakens them allowing an overload of something else.
Hopefully he will improve with treatment.

How much does he weigh?

Cross your fingers. My boyfriend would fall apart if dexter died. He's not just a chicken.

I had the vet listen to my lil house pet Serama too to be sure he's okay. He's fine. I figured he was but I worry, he already had the bronchitis and should be immune now, but he lives with dexter so.

Back
Top Bottom