Upper respiratory infection/eye infection-- 7 or 14 days of treating?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ND, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Hi all!

Last Saturday, I woke up to three sick acting birds. All three were acting lethargic, didn't want to leave the coop, one of the three was sneezing a lot, two others had one eye each that was irritated, watery, and stuck shut. I'm not sure WHAT was going on...I got my entire flock just a few weeks ago from one person... and it was REALLY bad timing, as I had to go out of town the next day for a family emergency.

I picked up some antibiotics from the feed store, gave my sister instructions and hoped for the best since I couldn't be home to baby them.
    Great news is... came home to very healthy looking birds, everyone made it (even in the horrible heat), eyes are all clear, everyone is active, eating and drinking a-OK and just doing great. I guess they were all looking great and acting 100% by day 3 or 4 of treatment.

Now, the meds say to treat for 7 to 14 days. Do I stop at 7 (last treated water today, which is 7 days medicated) or do I go a bit longer? I have no idea... I don't want to over medicate needlessly...but I also don't want to under medicate and have them relapse.

Would you stop at the 7 day mark? Would you continue a few extra days? The entire 14 days?

I was given Aureomycin to treat the water with, if that matters.

Thanks~
    Nicki

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I think I would do the 7 and if hey look good stop but if any look weak or sick I would go the 14. Good luck!

3. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks for the reply! I'll check everyone over really good tomorrow I guess and worst case scenario, give them a few extra days just to be sure...
    Everyone was looking healthy and happy when we returned last night... so hopefully, this knocked it out, whatever it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by