Upper Respiratory infection in Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blondetarzen, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Blondetarzen

Blondetarzen Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    I have a 3 year old Speckled Sussex Rooster, he has had a respiratory infection for over a month. I have treated him with Duramycin-10, and Vetrx with no luck. He did seem to get better, but when it got cold again. It started back up. He has been off any medication for about a week now. You can hear him wheezing when he breathes and he will cough. I also found out today that as of January 1, 2017 you can't get Duramycin over the counter. You have to see a vet. That's about $125 for a visit! I'm not sure what to do know. I have had him by himself for over a month. Need any suggestions.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Any mucous from the nostrils or discharge from the eyes?

Since he hasn't responded to antibiotic treatment he most likely has a virus like Infectious Bronchitis, but without testing there's no way to know for sure what he has. Environment like dusty bedding, dusty feed, ammonia buildup from feces, molds and being housed in a poorly ventilated area can also cause respiratory symptoms as well.

Antibiotics will only treat any secondary infections (complications) from respiratory illness. Offer him some poultry vitamins in his water and give extra protein like tuna or egg in addition to his normal feed.

Injectable antibiotics like Tylan50 should still be on the store shelves. Tylan50 can be given orally or as an injection into the breast muscle a 1/4" deep. Dosage is 1cc per 5lbs. This may help give him some relief if he has an infection.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Blondetarzen

Blondetarzen Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    He doesn't have any mucous or eye discharge. The barn is clean, and has good ventilation. I will try some Tylan50, will that get rid of the infection?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It may help if he has an infection from respiratory illness/disease. There are so many illnesses, it's hard to know which one he may have without testing. If you have a vet that can perform testing, that would be a good idea.

Antibiotics will not cure respiratory disease, they may help with secondary infections. Respiratory diseases are usually contagious and even if the bird recovers it (and those exposed to the bird) are considered carriers of the disease.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by