Upper respiratory infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychics, Dec 11, 2014.

1. happychics

happychics Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2014
    texas
    Gave hen and rooster penicillin shot, they are so sick with running nose, hens eyes swollen, I read fowl pox lowers immune system and can cause the repertory infection, my question is how often should I give the antibiotic shot? Also gave them warm bath in Epson salt and rx for resperatory. Half as prin for fever. Any advice appreciated as I am new at this and sure do not want to lose them.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Heres a good link about respirtory diseases.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

You need to know how much antibiotic they require a day and if its needed once a day or more. It would be based on their weight. Becarefull with bathing them, I personallywouldn't bath them. I can't help with the dosing.

1 person likes this.
  3. happychics

Dec 11, 2014
    texas
    Thank you so much for the information, greatly helped. Thankfully rooster and hen are still breathing and seems like a little improvement this morning. Would you know if penicillin or LA 200 would be best to get them better? If LA 200 could they have a shot of that after having penicillin shot day before?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do your chickens have fowl pox also, as well as the respiratory infection? Fowl pox is a virus and won't respond to antibiotics. However, sometimes the eyes get infected with bacteria, and they might help with that. If they have a respiratory disease that causes the swollen eyes of mycoplasma (MG,) then Tylan or oxytetracycline (LA 200 is a brand) would be better. Penicillin comes in different forms --some that are given once a day, and some that are given every 2-3 days. If you have procaine penicillin G, that is given once a day for 4 days. Penicillin works best for staph infections, such as those in wounds, or for enteritis, an intestinal infection. If a vet is an option, they have more powerful antibiotics that treat a variety of bacteria.

5. happychics

Dec 11, 2014
    texas
    They started with fowl pox they contracted from the other flock I brought in before realizing you shouldn't do that, the hen is really sick, trouble breathing swollen eyes. Rooster started with runny nose and mucus. So can I switch to giving them the LA200 injection if they have had penicillin? I gave them half a shot this morning and plan on giving them 2nd half tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by