Upping Sportsman humidity question - going out of town day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Mar 1, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Today is day 17 for my eggs in the sportsman incubator. I have to go out of town for the day tomorrow morning and unless I get up super early, won't have the time I'd like to increase the humidity and monitor it before I go. This is my first hatch in this incubator so I don't know how long it takes to get up there or how many wick pads I'll need to use. Would I be ok setting the eggs in the hatcher this evening instead of tomorrow morning or would I take a big chance in harming the chicks? If it makes any difference, the eggs were set in the evening so I am calculating the following day as day 1.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    high put it in the back, not as much front, I keep mine in the front and get around 50% bur the room I have it in is on the dry side.

you can set chicks for hatching as early as day 16 with no problem

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Is that with one or two wick pads in there or none at all? I didn't know you could set them day 16 - thank you SO much.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    one, this year is the first year i've used the pads, becouse my incubator is in the living room, and we have a wood burner

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    OK thanks. I think I'll put them in late this afternoon so I have plenty of time to monitor. Mine's in the basement where it averages 38% in the room so I might need two.

I do have more eggs in there that have a week left to go. If I up the humidity for the ones in the hatcher, will it affect the rest if it's just for a few days?

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    they should be OK, I'd still use only one they recommend 2 for ducks, your humidty could get to high and thats not good.

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Will-do. Thank you again! I was starting to panic.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Just remember, its a natural thing, its different every time, mama chicken just goes with the flow and so should we all. [​IMG]

9. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    You have to take it with you wherever you go hook it up to a car battery, you must not let it out of your sight, mine goes everywhere with me...the gym, shopping, I even sleep in the same bed with it [​IMG]

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by