upright or chest freezer?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sammimom, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    We want to get a freezer for the garage, we are buying a quarter of beef and would like room for those extra things that never seem to fit in our regular freezer. I grew up with a big chest freezer, but it seems an upright may be easier to keep track of things...opinions?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    UPRIGHT!

Chests are a PAIN in the back.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Uprights are nice but a little more expensive and aren't suitable for large cuts of meat.

I bought my 9 cubic foot chest freezer as a scratch and dent at Home Depot for $154. I label everything by date and rotate the oldest to the top every month or so since it's easy for things to fall to the bottom, get buried, and stay buried.

4. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Chests are a pain in the behind but I've never had the door to a chest come open on its own and thaw out a whole freezer full of meat which had to be thrown out either. So yeah, my vote's for a chest freezer lol.

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Oh good point. My friend lost 12 ducks he raised one year because the upright was left open. He wasn't happy.

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
  7. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    We always had a chest type freezer. A few years ago we bought an upright. I think I will go back to the chest freezer next time, but hopefully that will be a long time.

8. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I have both, and like them both.

9. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:OMG you are so OCD.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I will not rotate, inventory, or even organize. The upright is awesome, and I have two. One cow fills the big one, and part of the smaller one, with plenty of room for ice cream and t.v. dinners. If I had to dig for a t.v. dinner, I'd be thirty pounds lighter. If I had to rotate or shuffle meat, it would all be freezer burned. BTW, a pig's head is in my small upright, fits just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by