UPS pickup at facility or let them deliver?

dyrne

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 26, 2013
I apologize if this has been asked and answered 100 times. I'm staring at a UPS -oops USPS not UPS-tracking page right now.. Do you normally allow the drivers to deliver the day old chicks or have them hold them and pick them up at the facility? It is summer so I'd think they would be OK in the delivery truck.

Thanks

Last edited:
I apologize if this has been asked and answered 100 times. I'm staring at a UPS tracking page right now.. Do you normally allow the drivers to deliver the chicks or have them hold them and pick them up at the facility? It is summer so I'd think they would be OK in the delivery truck.

Thanks
Welcome to BYC!

I think most people have them held for pick up and the post office calls first thing in the morning to let you know they are there.

August 19 is the last day to ship day-old poultry. I would drive the chicks to the post office to drop them off, just because. It would be nice if the recipient picked them up at the post office, too, but that depends upon what the want to do.

Call your post office and talk to them. Usually the instructions are to call you so you can pick them up when they are delivered. Find out what time of day they should be delivered and make sure you know how to pick them up if it is before opening hours. Hopefully you know where your post office is located.

I think it is a bad idea to have them delivered to your home. They are normally shipped in a cardboard box with ventilation holes. Assuming the carrier has room in their delivery vehicle for that box, will the chicks stay cool enough or overheat? Will you be home to receive them or will they sit outside in the heat where a dog or other predator can get to them? It's better for you to go get them and get them in the brooder with food and water as soon as you can instead of adding to their traveling stress.

Oh, absolutely arrange to pick your chicks up at the post office. Find out what time the mail truck comes in, and meet it. There's nothing like the feeling you get from hearing your babies chirping for you to rescue them from their long journey.

Have their brooder and water and everything all set up and ready to pop them in as soon as you get them home. I recommend getting some Poultry Nutri-drench so you can counter the stress they've experienced. Even an ideal shipment will involve temperature extremes and a lot of noise and being bumped and knocked off their little feet.

Back
Top Bottom