Upset about my pekins- just need a friend or two

QBRanch

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Colorado
So, I heard about this lady who has adult pekin ducks for sale. I jumped on it because they are so cute and have such a great personality. When I showed up she had what she called her Drake pen (fully inclosed) and her Female pen (fully inclosed). I asked her if I could buy 3 females and 1 male. A duck for each of my child of the same sex (kids idea). When we went into the pens I noticed they all were missing their tails. She explained that the some dog got in and had a hay day with the ducks. And swears up and down that none have ever been out so the sexes are a guarantee. I was ok with the guarantee and figured why would she lie to me. So, I purchased 4 ducks (3 females and 1 male) for a total of 100.00. Now a month later and their tails are all coming in and guess what I have all Drakes. I have called the lady to inform her that she has sold me all drakes. And she will not answer her phone. So, last week I tried to call again and her phone was disconnected. I wasn't mad at first I figured maybe she didn't know. And I would hate for her to have a bad reputation. (that's what i get for thinking) So, I drove the hour drive out to her house. When I arrived I introduced myself thinking maybe she forgot who I was. And this is exactly what I told her "I am sorry to bother you but, I think you might have mixed up your pekins. because I thought I bought 3 females and 1 male. I just don't want you to get someone that can destroy a ranches reputation for selling animals. My kids have fallen in love with the ducks I bought so I don't want to trade them. But if I could buy a female I would really appreciate it." Now here's the getter that just blew my mind away. She didn't say nothing for a minute or two. Then she just starts off telling me that it is might fault and I should have known that they were drakes and only stupid people like me should own any animal because we can't even tell a female from a male. And the only way she would sale me another one is if I have 100.00 for the female. I couldn't believe my mind. I was going there to be a good person in hopes that maybe she made a mistake and didn't even know it and after hearing from other ranchers around seems this is her way of making money. She cuts the tails so you can't tell a difference and sells you all drakes. I felt like such a fool. And having such high hopes I would have duck eggs for my baking company. Ugh. I am sorry this was so long I just needed to tell someone !! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
Just remember, People reap what they sow!

all u can do is make sure everyone in your area knows about it. That's what I would do. She won't even make it right, and I CAN'T believe u paid that much for 4 ducks!!! U could have ordered ducklings from a hatchery. I know hindsight's 20/20, but I would totally make sure you get the word out about her, cause people like that shouldn't be allowed to do business. So sorry for what happened!!!
hugs.gif

I will be buying new ones from the hatchery next year. I never actually knew about a hatchery until just about three weeks ago when a neighbor told me about it. Back home as a kid we had enough of them that we never bought from any one except our roosters so this buying thing is new and I put trust in people AGAIN. I have let many other ranchers know about her in hopes that she won't do it to another person. I feel bad for my two girls because they were hoping their ducks would be the ones that helped out in baking. But, I keep telling them we will get more and it will all be ok. I am just upset that she treated me in such a way after I went out of my way to try and help her! Some people I must say!

What a nasty lady!...low down!...dont worry about her!..just enjoy the ducks you have...and be thankful you saved them from her...we all get hurt sometimes in life from cheezy, low down people...just be a better person..and be thankful you saved the little duckies you did.. because,in the end, she is the one who has to face herself....

somad.gif
I completely understand where you are coming from. It absolutely infuriates me when people are knowingly and purposefully dishonest just to make a buck --

Love your babies and get them lots of girlfriends this spring!!
smile.png

I understand wanting to make the kids happy... but I would get an officer out there to have a little chat with her. Maybe a good scare is what it needed. That was an obvious Con job!

Anyways, I'm really sorry. I do think you paid too much anyways. I was given fertile pekin eggs for free. I'm thinking of buying more. The lady will be selling her day olds for $4-$5 in the spring.... and her older one's are usually around $10 she says. She never has many though... maybe only 10 each year to sell. Of course I'm going to take the free eggs!

Anyhow.... I'm sending virtual hugs for you.... you should post her info though and contact an officer. That's just low and stupid.

So sorry for your mixup. Glad you are enjoying your ducks.

However, would reconsider getting just ONE female for your 4 boys ... that will create chaos. She will get overbred and the boys will squabble with each other. I 'accidently' ended up with this exact number this past spring (due to select pick off from a fox) and felt so sorry for her.

Last edited:
Wow, what a jerk! A lot of people do that with ducks, trying to trick people. Just remember, if it quacks it's a duck, and if it whispers it's a drake. And $100 for 4 ducks??? Wow! I thought I paid a lot when I bought 2 pekins and 2 rouens for $30, all three female btw.

Metzer hatchery sells sexed ducklings btw, good luck with your search. People like that just make me
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom