BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
My lead rooster, Silverwings, about 3 or 4 years old, showed signs of leg mites so I isolated him for treatment. I put him in the bachelor pen. This evening my kid accidentally opened a gate, releasing him to the area where the flock, including the (formerly) submissive yearling BJG, George, were free ranging. The two roos immediately began to spar. Normally Silver charges at George and George runs away, but not too far. We have 19 hens and usually about 5 of them hang out with George. Since Silver has been isolated for about three days, it appears George has gained confidence and now wants to claim the whole flock. I believe he could do it, as he has the weight, youth and stamina over Silver. As he began to tire, I grabbed Silver and tossed him back into the isolation pen, as I was busy and could not oversee this battle to its conclusion at that time.

My question is this. Should I let them fight this out until one submits or blood is drawn? Nobody seemed to be injured tonight, but neither showed signs of submission, either. However, it did look like Silver was going to get his butt kicked. Thanks!

It depends on if you are planning to keep both roosters.
Why do you have two roosters, is it for breeding? If this is yes, you could try the integration back into the flock with a see but no touch integration for two-three weeks.
If you aren’t keeping them for breeding but just protection, you may only need one based on your area and predators.

It depends on if you are planning to keep both roosters.
Why do you have two roosters, is it for breeding? If this is yes, you could try the integration back into the flock with a see but no touch integration for two-three weeks.
If you aren’t keeping them for breeding but just protection, you may only need one based on your area and predators.
Thanks. I like having two because, in the past, when a hawk attacked, one roo led the girls to safety while the second brought up the rear and fought off the attack. The hawk killed the rear guard (it was a cockerel) but all the hens escaped. I don't hatch, so breeding is not an issue. It just seems the flock is much more content and cohesive with a rooster than without.

As for re-integration, I don't see that happening now. They seem to just want to confront each other through the fence all the time. Perhaps Silver has outlived his days and it's time to let George take his place. I'm not exactly sure how old Silver is, he could be older than 4.

So sorry! Maybe they could settle their issues without damaging each other, but this doesn't sound good right now. If you like both of them, try reintegration and see if things work out. Otherwise, separation, either having two flocks, or alternating rooster visitations.
Three days doesn't seem like that long...
Our flock has multiple roosters always, and if I separate breeding groups, they are still within sight of each other through wire fencing. If there's a situation where someone can't get along, then we send one or more off elsewhere.
Mary

So sorry! Maybe they could settle their issues without damaging each other, but this doesn't sound good right now. If you like both of them, try reintegration and see if things work out. Otherwise, separation, either having two flocks, or alternating rooster visitations.
Three days doesn't seem like that long...
Our flock has multiple roosters always, and if I separate breeding groups, they are still within sight of each other through wire fencing. If there's a situation where someone can't get along, then we send one or more off elsewhere.
Mary
Thanks, Mary. I really had no idea separating them was going to do this. But I'm going to have to keep Silver separate for at least 2 or 3 weeks to deal with the mites, and George needs to look after the flock, not keep trying to fight Silver. I'll give it a few more days before I decide.

Question; if one bird has leg mites, don't they all have them? At least the birds that spend time with the old guy? Is it actually leg mites, or old bird scaly legs?
Mary
Not sure, to tell you the truth. I thought it was old bird legs but when I looked closely, there are areas that are red and raw. Also one of my hens also looks like she may have a mild case of the leg mites. His legs are really ugly and it's just easier to treat him if I have him isolated. I will be treating everybody with an insecticidal spray, but he's getting the full treatment with a thick ointment and everything.

Thanks to all who responded. We decided to cull Silverwings. The two of them were spending all day sparring through the fence and we didn't have a hope of that changing. We could have let them fight it out, but that probably would have ended badly for Silver anyway. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom