Upset stomach or something worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackyardDove, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BackyardDove

BackyardDove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    Symptoms:
    Green, watery feces(No solids to very little solids)
    Lethargic, distancing herself from the rest of the flock
    Drinking lots of water

These symptoms just started today with one of my hens. Yesterday, I had let out the chickens from their pens for several hours. Because of this, I think she just got into something bad and has a stomach ache. However, I would like to have a second(or third, fourth..) opinion from those who have experience in chicken sickness, just in case it's something that needs to be treated and she needs to be isolated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you wormed your chickens lately? Green droppings tend to be from not eating. How old are your chickens?

3. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Can you post a photo, and does it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

4. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    I have not wormed my chickens. I wanted to start deworming them last week, but I can't find a dewormer that deworms more than just round worms.The chicken in question is 2 years old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are the two best pictures I could get. I'm going to go ahead and isolate her, she's pooping this stuff all over the place and I don't want my horse to step in it or nose around it. The hen is now constantly drinking, she won't leave the water trough and just stands there and drinks.

EDIT: If it means anything, I've been needing to change over her diet. She and the rest of the flock have been eating layer chicken feed with crushed corn mixed in. She hasn't laid any eggs since August or September, so I've been needing to switch them over to a flock feed but haven't yet. I read something about constant drinking maybe being a sign of kidney disease, and I know that the increased calcium from the layer feed can cause kidney problems.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Valbazen is an excellent dewormer. Dosage is 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days, and that will get all chicken worms. Corn is 8% protein while layer feed is 16%. That is the minimum amount they should get (16%.) All flock or flock raiser is 20%, and doesn't contain the extra calcium. The more a chicken drinks the more watery the droppings. Would it be possible for you to collect a stool sample containing both cecal and regular droppings to take in to a vet to test for worms, coccidia, and bacteria? Enteritis from the soil can cause runny stools, but I would start with worming her and the others.

6. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    KayTee,

I'm not the OP, but my hen's poo looks like that. Can you tell me what that may indicate? I'm treating her now with Lincomycin. She's had two shots of Tylan 50, one a day now also.

7. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Are you telling me to switch my chickens over to all flock or keep them on what they have? I'm going to try deworming her with my dewormer called Wazine. It only treats roundworm, but that's the only parasite that she has some symptoms of. I would try Valbazen, but the cheapest I could find for chickens was over $100 and I can't afford to spend that much on a huge bottle when I only need enough for 9 chickens. It says 1 ounce for 1 gallon, but my question is, since she is constantly drinking, am I suppose to dilute it for her? All she does is drink and I don't want her to overdose on dewormer.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would switch to all flock or layer feed because corn is too low in protein. Valbazen sells for $41online.

9. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    No matter the online price for Valbazen, it would still take time for it to be shipped here and since she's not eating I don't really have time. Do you know how to give Wazine to chickens?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wazine dosage is 1 ounce per gallon of water for 24 hours. Just give that and it should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by