1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Upset with egg order that arrived.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I ordered 18+ american "blue egg layer" hatching eggs quite awhile ago, laying slowed down so order arrived just now, 21 eggs were shipped and all are green & light brown (is green called blue by chance??) Most upsetting was that while she packed them all fat end up in egg cartons with paper towel nests, she put the egg cartons into the box flippin SIDEWAYS. Won't that mess air sacs up??? I have planned to let them sit for at lest 24 hours to adjust, but should I plana on 48 for these??

Ugh.

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    If you decide to order more you should look at the auction thread for rockinpaints - Her name is Nellie! She sells Ameraucana eggs and they were the most incredible shade of turquise and blue and the chicks are incredibly beautiful or young ladies I should say [​IMG]

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    This is what I got...they look even more brown and green in person. Do these look "blue" to anyone?? Several are very flawed as well.

[​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    were did you order them from

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Ebay. She shipped them on their sides and to me these do NOT look blue. [​IMG] Many are also flawed.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    from the pic they look tinted blue. they might be mutts breed to give you blue egg layers or with it so late in the year the color could be off, our marans are supposed to be brown but they are starting to turn a tanish color as they slow down with laying. i just wouldnt buy from them again. i would also give a review of the seller on how the eggs were wrapped and shipped and the color/flaws that you have noticed along with how long it took to get your eggs to you. be honest about it. did you review the sellers feed back?

7. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Did they have pics of the parent stock? You have to remember, many so called breeders sell Easter Eggers are Ameraucanas when they aren't. You will only get true Ameraucanas from breeders that are on here and aren't shy about showing off their birds. Most likely you got Easter Eggers.

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I see no problem with shipping eggs on their sides. If these were shipped upright, it wouldnt make any difference, as the box doesnt stay one way up on its entire journey to you. It could just as easily be shipping cross country to you upside down. As far as them being sideways, think of how hens lay their eggs. They set on them sideways, not up one way or the other. Mother Nature takes care of things better than we do.

The egg color isnt too bad. A lot of them look blue, and some do have a more greenish tint. Perhaps the generation that you hatch out will have even bluer eggs, depending on the rooster she was using.

9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

not up on those kind of chickens but as far as the eggs being turned wrong they should be fine, its hard to tell what ends the box has been turned while in transit. Leaving them set with the air sacs up for 24hrs is a good idea.. most people do anyway with shipped eggs.. they should be fine.. good luck!

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I agree completely with what Halo said. Several of those look nice and light blue. Some are more khaki-ish green. The fact that you spelled Ameraucana with an I in it, tells me that's probably how the seller spelled it, and thusly they are very likely Easter Eggers, though if the seller bought their birds from a hatchery, they may not know that's what they are, as most hatcheries misrepresent their EEs as Ameraucanas, usually spelling it with an I.

Also, what variety are they "supposed" to be? There are some varieties of Ameraucanas that lay greener eggs, it's something that's being worked on. I also know someone that has bantam Wheaten Ameraucanas, and while they are true to the breed to look at, and he does show them, their eggs are green as grass. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by