Upset with the neighbour down the road

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ema, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Since my chickens have been laying, the neighbour down the road has been buying eggs from me, every five dozen or so I usually give her a freebie dozen. Couple months ago I ended up getting a part time job, but that part time job has had me working full time hours. She usually emails me for eggs and I get my Dh to either drop them of or at least have them ready for when she comes get them.

3 weeks ago she asked for 3 dozen eggs, I sell mine for 2.50 a dozen, Dh dropped off her eggs and she told him she didn't have any money on her because she forgot to go to the bank, no biggie, she will pay next week. The following week she asked for 2 1/2 dozen eggs, Dh drops them off but she is not home, her mom is and she didn't leave any money for the eggs, so Her mom gives Dh 5.00 all she had in her wallet. So now she owes 8.75.

she emails me yesterday and asks for 2 1/2 dozen for today, so dh readies her eggs she comes pick them up and hands him a small bag with some change in it. Dh didn't count it, I came home and looked and she had only paid 3 dollars. Now we are at 12.50??!!

the issue is not the money, don't get me wrong, its only 12.50, but its the principle, first off I am selling the eggs at a bargain, the other 2 farms around here charge between 3.50 and 4.00 per dozen, store bought eggs sell for 3.25 a dozen, and if you want free range eggs or organic they are 4.99 and up per dozen.

I just don't get why she is doing this, I don't even know how to bring it up to her, but certainly feel like I shouldn't have to, because she should certainly be smart enough to know this is not good behaviour in any way shape or form. you don't go buy bread at the store and fill up your cart and then give the cashier 5 bucks and walk out.
    BTW, they certainly have no money issues, I thought I would share this before anyone says they might be struggling, they just bought a new 4x4 fully loaded truck, and are going to Santo Domingo next week. Her Dh is an engineer and she is a customer service rep. manager.

I told Dh that I don't care that she buys eggs every week, whats the point since she is not paying me anyhow, that she is to no longer get eggs from us until she pays up. Part of me feels like I am over reacting, but the other part is just upset and puzzled.

I just don't know how to handle the situation....

Ema

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Tell her you need the money to buy feed or the chickens will stop laying

3. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    she was just on facebook and I pm'd her, said hi, she responded, then I asked her when she was going to pay the balance for the eggs she received, and said I needed to get feed tomorrow, she didn't respond after that. [​IMG]

4. Welsummer Rancher

Welsummer Rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Longview, Texas
    Your friend is playing you for a sucker, Ema. I would cut the friendship ties and never sell or give her any more eggs. EVER! Oh, and no, you're not over reacting. People can only walk on you if you lay down for them.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Sounds like some of my family, we sell ours for only $2.00 dozen, they get 3 dozen and say they are $1.00 short. Next time they get 3 dozen and said $1.50 short. I know that they are family but we still have to buy the feed and pay for the water.

Just saying.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Just tell her to pay the tab. Like you said before you give a dozen free after 5 dozens,so THAT fifth dozen should be the only time you actually give eggs without giving money. When she calls for eggs just tell her what the cost will be.Is she tells you she does not have cash,then tell her to call you when she does.

Some people take advantage of a situation if they are allowed.

I sell my eggs to neighbors for $1.50-$2.Sometimes I try to give them free and THEY tell me," No no you have to spend money on food and bedding.You need the money to take care of the hens."

No money no eggs.Just stick to that.

Change is ok.It is money after all,but darn I would want the total owed and it better be rolled up!

Say something immediately.You might upset your neighbor,but it will be their loss.They will have to pay more for eggs elsewhere,and you will replace them(if necessary) with someone who will actually pay each time they get eggs.

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Don't ever sell them more until the balance is paid in full. It isn't much but there are people out there who will pay steadily.

8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Ema said,
    I just don't get why she is doing this, I don't even know how to bring it up to her, but certainly feel like I shouldn't have to, because she should certainly be smart enough to know this is not good behaviour in any way shape or form. you don't go buy bread at the store and fill up your cart and then give the cashier 5 bucks and walk out.

She was doing this because you allowed her to. Believe me, if people thought they could get away with filling up their cart at the grocery and not paying full price for it, they would! I think that after she didn't pay that first time because she "forgot" to go to the bank, I would have refused to take any more eggs to her until she settled her previous bill----and had all the money for the next order.

I know, you probably thought you were being kind, but I've found that even good friends sometimes take advantage of kindness. I was giving my 3 close friends at work free eggs now and then, and when I got more hens, needing more feed, I told them I was going to start having to charge for my eggs (only $1 per dozen). When I told one of them, he said, "Well, then I'm just going to go back to buying the organic eggs at Wal-Mart." He pays $2.50/dozen for them! Is that ridiculous or what?

It's too bad you had to learn this lesson the hard way, but at least you're strong enough to tell her you won't sell her any more eggs----good for you!​

9. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    well its good to know I am not freaking out over nothing. I want to clear up though, that she is not a friend, just a neighbour down the road, the only interaction I have with her is about eggs.

My Dh figured when he brought her more eggs the first time around that she was going to pay the balance as she stated. I guess the right thing to do is not sell her any at all until she pays the balance as suggested.

I guess I just make it to darn easy or I have door mat written on my forehead [​IMG]

10. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Sometimes it's just hard not to be nice to people--------don't stop being nice, just be canny when it comes to selling eggs! Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by