Upseting a broody hen, please help!

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
One of my hens is broody. She just started yesterday and I want her to hatch them. The problem is we are moving from washington to oregon in TWO WEEKS. The drive is only a couple hours long but I need to know how to move her without upsetting her and making her abandon her eggs. Will A ride in a car upset her to much? Should I forget about having her hatch them? Will it upset her at all? Please help!

I don't really know for sure, but it sounds like a problem waiting to happen. If you do move her, make sure it is in a dark box, maybe it'll keep her calmer.

good luck

Imp

Can you put her in a crate now? Then move her at night, put a blanket over the cage the last few nights before you go, and keep it over when you move her and for a while when you get there. Make sure she can't see much when you take it off again, new things upset some chickens, but not having had a broody myself, not sure how hormonal they really get!

Ok thanks I'll try that. But do I realy need to put her in a crate now? Do you know when I should start getting her used to a dark box?

I've never done it, never had a broody, but I'd imagine a good four nights before you move. Most animal behaviours mimick each other and I know that changes can upset natural instincts. Make as much as you can the same, even limit what she can see now, and use a barrier that you can use at the new house too. Eg, large sheet of cardboard/sheet hung up. If you can limit her environment now to what you can recreate as near as possible at the other side she shouldn't miss a beat. But this is only my guessing, not from experience!

You really shouldn't do it at all. Some hens will tolerate a move while broody, but it is far more likely that she'll get freaked out and abandon the nest. You would be much better off to wait until after the move and then set eggs under her if she's still broody or when she goes broody again. If you really feel like you have to try now you should have an incubator in reserve to finish out the hatch if needed.

Things would probably go best if you can get her in a portable container now. One of those plastic dog crates would work best. Try to move her & her entire nest into one after dark tonight. See if she's content to stay in it. You'll have to give her room to get up daily and eat/drink/poop. You could keep it open and put it in a separate pen, or make a barricade around the area in front of it. Or use one of those long wire-topped plastic-bottomed rabbit cages.

If she sticks to the portable box she should be well committed to the project when you move in 2 weeks. Just close/cover the cage and it will all seem like a dream during the drive. She shouldn't need food or water during the drive, she shouldn't be getting off the nest.

After you arrive you could keep the cage covered until she gets used to the sounds of her new place. She should make the adjustment just fine.

I wish I'd had this advice yesterday when I went to pick up a drake off Craigslist and came back with him and a duck setting on 15 eggs! I wasn't prepared at all and neither was the poor duck; needless to say, she would have nothing to do with them once I got her home and re-settled. The amazingly ironic and very fortunate thing was that I had set my very first batch of chicken eggs the previous week and was able to pop the duck eggs in the incubator right next to them! I candled them today and all are alive and moving, even the one the mother duck stepped on and cracked. If I had it to do over again I would make the transfer to a portable crate in advance of the move and keep it covered during the transitional period. I think that would have a likelihood of working.

To missychicky: Where in Oregon are you settling? I'm in the Eugene-Springfield area. Best of luck with your move and your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom