upside down chick in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the simple life, May 30, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in the middle of a hatch and one of the chicks has pipped a small hole and poked it's beak through. It is upside down and has been for several hours already. It was sticking its beak out and chirping but has quieted down. Its still moving its mouth and making some noise but I need to know if I just leave it like that indefinitely or at some point should I turn the egg and make him right side up.

2. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Are U hatching in an egg carton? How many eggs in the bator total?

3. the simple life

yes I am hatching in a carton. I have 40 eggs in there total, 3 hatched and 15 have pipped.

4. the simple life

ALL is well!!!!! [​IMG]
    My little upside down chickie is out, he did it all by himself. I watched it for hours and I finally went to bed for a while and when I got up and checked on them he was hatched.[​IMG]

5. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Pleased to hear it.

6. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    almost all of my chicks and ducklings are like that at least from what I can see. Its their head tucked under their wing and once its pipped enough, the neck pushes the egg shell top off and the head pops out from under that little wing. The wing usually has come out of the zip line first, so the head has more room to pop up after... hope that's not confusing. I don't think I've had any upside down chicks...it just looks like that when you see an upside down beak/bill.
    Lisa

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Glad to hear the good news! [​IMG] Just goes to prove, sometimes its best to leave mother nature alone! [​IMG] Good luck with rest of the hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by