upside down chick in egg

the simple life

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Weymouth, Massachusetts
I am in the middle of a hatch and one of the chicks has pipped a small hole and poked it's beak through. It is upside down and has been for several hours already. It was sticking its beak out and chirping but has quieted down. Its still moving its mouth and making some noise but I need to know if I just leave it like that indefinitely or at some point should I turn the egg and make him right side up.

ALL is well!!!!!
wee.gif

My little upside down chickie is out, he did it all by himself. I watched it for hours and I finally went to bed for a while and when I got up and checked on them he was hatched.
jumpy.gif

almost all of my chicks and ducklings are like that at least from what I can see. Its their head tucked under their wing and once its pipped enough, the neck pushes the egg shell top off and the head pops out from under that little wing. The wing usually has come out of the zip line first, so the head has more room to pop up after... hope that's not confusing. I don't think I've had any upside down chicks...it just looks like that when you see an upside down beak/bill.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom