Upside down Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by toto65, Jul 27, 2010.

1. toto65

toto65 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    I have 12 chicken eggs in in incubator. One egg is shaped strangely, it did not have a large end but was a perfect oval. When I candled it last night, (last time before lockdown tonight) the chick is moving well but the air cell is on the bottom. They are currently in a turner so it has been that way since day one. My question is, I was planning on using the egg carton when I lock down but wonder if I should lay that egg on it's side. Is there even a chance that this egg will hatch? This is the only egg of this kind and I was really hoping that it would hatch. Last batch that type of egg produced a white chick with green legs and a real personality. don't kow what kind of chicks thay are since they were given to me and all kinds of chickens run together. Please let me know what you think about the viability of this egg! [​IMG]

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hmmm never heard of this before. but I do know that somtimes hens lay odd shaped eggs. So maybe this is one? Anyways, If the baby looks like it is growing and moving, then it DOES have a chance of hatching. Lay the eggs on their sides, on the bottom of the incubator during lock down. Egg cartons can make it hard for them to hatch. good luck!!

-Becca

3. toto65

toto65 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    Thanks, I will try that and see what happens.

4. cluckcluckcharlie

cluckcluckcharlie In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Had the same problem yesterday... I was so stressed. BUT with the help of everyone here, I calmed down. Mine piped at the wrong end since 10 yesterday morning. Used the egg carton, but with the small end being down, I thought maybe the weight of the shell would be to much for him to push off. I took him out of the carton and layed him on his side. He's doing much better this morning. Hole about the size of 1/2 a dime, but nose is out so he's breathing. I think the egg carton thing is great, this is my first time of hatching that way, and they dont get knocked around so much in the carton. I lost most of my hatch last time due to lose air pockets and the egg being rolled around. They DO seem to sit in the bottom half of the shell longer, but it seems like they have more energy when they do come out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: